Wednesday, August 1, 2018

ICOTW: Pina Colada Popsicles


Here's what I love about having a freezer bursting with popsicles in the summer.  When Luke runs in from playing outside and said he's STARVING and needs a snack NOW I can just hand him a popsicle.  He thinks he's getting a treat because it's cold and refreshing.  I know I'm really just sneaking some fruit into his diet.   We are both happy and there's no fights.  That's what Michael Scott would call a win-win-win.

I also love popsicles because they are generally pretty easy to mix up.  Like a smoothie you CAN follow a recipe but you can also just throw a lot of things in the blender and turn it into a popsicle (or smoothie).  It's a great way to use up fresh fruit that is on the verge of going bad before it can all be eaten.  And then they still taste delicious with little to no added sugar!

I always start my summers of this project with a lot of ice cream and end up with a lot of popsicles.  I mean, still some ice creams (I have 3 different flavors in my fridge and a few more recipes coming) but also, popsicles.  A lot of popsicles.  They are easy and delicious.  And, sometimes, pretty healthy.

One year ago: Peach Lemonade Popsicles
Two years ago: Dark Chocolate Coconut Popsicles
Three years ago: Lemon Granita



Pina Colada Popsicles
yield: depends on mold, I got 15
Ingredients
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 small, ripe pineapple.  C
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- juice of one lime

Directions
Core and slice the pineapple.  Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  Pour into popsicle mold and freeze until solid!






Source: slightly modified from The Busy Baker
__________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 

No comments: