Monday, September 1, 2014

Mixed Drinks Monday: strawberry margarita & orange julius


We've come to the end of the summer.  We did plenty of celebrating this weekend though, ending summer with a bang. 

Strawberry Margartias
yield: 3 margarita glass filling drinks
Ingredients
1 cup frozen strawberries
6 TB tequilia (or more or less to taste)
1/4 cup frozen limeade concentrate
2 TB triple sec
2 cups ice

Directions
Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth (30-60 seconds).  If you feel fancy (I wish I could take credit for these pretty glasses), rub a lime wedge around the edge of the glass and dip in rimming sugar.  Serve with a lime wedge.  Or just enjoy them without the fancy stuff.

My thoughts
These were delicious, easy to make, easy to drink.  I made some batches a little stronger, some weaker.  This is a very good basic recipe to have and one I'll probably pull out often.

Orange Julius
yield: we did two large drinks and that was too much.  I'd say at least 4 decent sized drinks
Yes, those are Darth Vader heads in the background.  They are closest I had to oranges.
 Ingredients
1 can orange juice concentrate
1 cup milk
1/2-1 cup sugar (I'd start low.)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups ice

Directions
Put everything in the blender and blend.  Serve.

My Thoughts
Throughout my childhood, orange julius was a special summertime treat.  I remember drinking it many times on hot summer days, always out of these small blue glasses that pre-dated me.  They were a favorite of our retired neighbor and Mom would often send us over with a glass for him if he was out when we made them.  I haven't had one in years and knew I had to try them in my summer of drinks.  I'm not sure this is the exact recipe we used growing up (it was a very old newspaper clipping taped to the inside of a cupboard) but it was pretty close.  Very orange-y with a hint of vanilla.  Perfect blend of creamy and icy.

The pin I made this from said 1 cup of sugar but the actual recipe said 1/2 cup.  I thought the 1 cup made it waaaaaay too sweet so would definitely try it with half.  These were good but sweet.  Matt & I had each had one while Luke napped and we would have been better off with a half batch or saving part for later.  (I don't want to think about how I consumed 1/2 cup of sugar in this alone today!)  But still, a summertime classic for me and something I'm sure I'll make again, especially as Luke grows and can share too. 


Strawberry Margaritas
Orange Julius 

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I wonder how little sugar you could get away with! I found this recipe which is basically your recipe without any sugar! Hmm. http://addapinch.com/cooking/sugar-free-orange-julius-recipe/ Maybe we will try it sometime and I can let you know!

diana said...

Yes! Let me know! I need to look at the recipe we used when I was growing up, see how much sugar that was!