Monday, February 1, 2021

{7} Things Saving my Winter

Every year, Modern Mrs. Darcy does a link up around this time to share things that are saving our winter.  This is the 5th year I've joined in and I've really appreciated the mid-winter reflection on things that are making my days a little bit easier.  Post-Christmas winter has never been my favorite season, partially due to the fact that I am perpetually cold as well as lingering trauma from the 7 years I worked extra hours for tax season January - mid-April.  So I like having a reason to focus on the good, finding the positives.  There are always some, even during this long winter slog.

This winter really hasn't been a bad one.  We yet to have a snow fall that fully covers the grass and school didn't even have a 2 hour delay until two weeks ago (and our first ice/snow closing last week.  Hurray for e-learning!).  My boys, Luke especially, are rather disappointed in the lack of good snow but I'm sure the part of him that never seems to remember his hat or gloves for recess also appreciates it.  (Although I washed his coat the other day and found THREE pairs of gloves in the pockets, one of which he got from the massive kindergarten glove lost and found two years ago.)  

1) Sunshine
We don't get it every day, we made a decent number of days into 2021 before we had ANY sunshine but now we are having a few more.  It's VERY exciting any day that it's sunny out because it makes the cold that much less horrible.  Plus, days where I don't need extra lamps on inside DURING THE DAY are nice.  And occasionally needing sunglasses!  And the roads clear faster when the sun is shining on them!

2) My husband's work schedule
For almost a year now my husband has been on a 4-10s work schedule and it has been AMAZING.  We've done every single one of our dates since on one of his days off and I often do my morning of work when he can stay home with Sam.  That's one day a week I get homework help (unless he has Friday off) and only have to do one school run, and he gets in errands that are easier during the week (did a good metal recycle drop-off last week!).  His schedule might be changing again soon which is devastating but I've really really appreciated the many months he has had this.

3) Microwave Meals on days I work
As mentioned, I typically work one morning a week as well as over some nap times as well as an evening or two from home.  I long ago decided that on days when I work, I get a microwave meal for lunch.  Lunch has LONG been a struggle for me, figuring out what to eat easily, and especially on days I work and am pressed for time.  Especially especially on days someone besides my husband is watching Sam and we get home late and he still needs fed and a nap before the afternoon school run.  My brain power by the time I finally get to eat those days is very minimal.  This is my current favorite, since Target stopped carrying my previous favorite.  

4) Trunk opening and closing with the press of a button
Between Christmas and New Years we upgraded our vehicle to one that can more easily fit the two boys we have and the 3rd baby we are listed for.  It took owning that vehicle for nearly a month (so...I learned this last week) for my husband to tell me that I can open and close the trunk with the push of a button.  And it's the vehicle I primarily drive.  This is especially crucial with all the curbside pick-ups we do in this time of COVID, when I'm at the library or Target (really, the only places we visit regularly besides Aldi which doesn't have curbside pick-up), I can stay in my seat and open and close the trunk for things to be put in.  IT IS MAGICAL.  One day recently I had three of these types of stops to make in an hour and I didn't get out of the car once.  It may rival my love of heated seats soon (probably not, I love my heated seats).  

5) Community on Netflix
When Community first started airing, about a group of students in a study group together at community college, Matt actually WAS attending community college again and found the stories slightly relatable.  He got me to start watching it with him between seasons 1 and 2 maybe and it became one of our favorite shows to watch together.  It's finally on Netflix (even though we own most of the DVDs) and what started as skipping around to watch random episodes has turned into a full series rewatch.  It is delightful and funny and comforting.  I keep thinking I'll write a post about the best episodes but that also means I need to narrow it down.  (Tory & Abed, as a duo, is the only correct answer to the best character(s).)

6) Daylight for the morning school run
It's really starting to feel like the days are getting noticeably longer, especially since we are no longer leaving for the morning school run in the dark.  On overcast days it's still not bright and I use my headlights even when the sky is clear but every day it's just a little brighter and it's wonderful to not be ushering the boys out of the house in the dark.  The evenings are feeling longer too and being able to tell the days are getting longer without just looking at the sunrise/sunset times on my phone is very uplifting.

7) The promise of spring
Spring WILL come.  Life WILL return to something resembling normal post-COVID eventually.  A lot of the things that are annoying about life NOW will come to pass, just like so many things I used to worry about have as well.  Then there will be new things to worry about but those will pass too.  Spring will come, days are getting brighter, there are plenty of reasons to be positive. 

What are some things making YOUR winter life easier?

Winter 2020 List
Winter 2019 List
Winter 2018 List
Winter 2017 List

No comments: