Friday, June 1, 2012

London day 3 - last day =(

Leaving London for Scotland in about 9 hours. Sad to leave, I've really enjoyed it here. Might have overtaken NYC as my favorite city (although New York has the advantage of being much closer and cheaper to get to).

Today we started my going down the Thames to the Tower of London. I knew that's where the crown jewels are (which were incredible) and knew its where beheadings took place. I've read quite a few novels that take place during the Tudor reign of Henry VIII. It was a lot more than I expected. It was a castle for about 500 years or so and was huge! I didn't know there was so much to it! We were probably there 3 hours and didn't see it all. Took the Beefeaters tour (interesting and amusing), saw the jewels (WOW), and walked around a lot. In one part there is still visible graffiti on the walls from prisoners. Crazy thinking of all the history these places have witnessed.

From there we also got a good view of the Tower Bridge (often mistakenly called the London Bridge). Quite cool. Walked along the Thames and saw a lot of boats being prepared for the Queen's jubilee flotilla on Sunday. Actually, we've seen a lot of jubilee prep all over town.

Walked across the Millennium Bridge (destroyed in HP 5). Saw St Paul's where Charles and Diana were married. Walked through part of the Tate Modern. Saw a few Picassos but I found most of the modern art pretentious and weird. Very different place from the Louvre.

Rode on top of a double decker bus back to our hotel to drop off some stuff before going to supper at St. George's tavern right down the street. We went there a couple days ago too had the best fish and chips I've ever had (and I had to eat that at least once in London). Back here to pack (me) and nap (Matt).

About 9 we headed out to see Parliament all lit up. They were starting to close roads for some Jubilee celebration. Roads are eerily quiet with no traffic. Matt got some great shots of Big Ben and Parliament lit up. Lots of people out around there but not nearly as bad as daytime Wed when we seemed to run into every school group in the city.

Going to miss London. It's just foreign enough to be different from home but not so foreign we feel completely lost. We even found some British snacks we liked enough to bring home (their Twix bars are much yummier than the US). It's really cool to be here the summer London is really in the spotlight with the jubilee and Olympics. I know I'll be watching both with a renewed interest.

For anyone wondering about my bum foot, it's actually holding up surprisingly well. Today marks 3 months since surgery and I didn't think I'd make this trip so easily. I haven't worn the brace at all and it generally only hurts as much as my good foot (we've walked A LOT in the past 4 days). That's another good thing. We've taken both the bus and Tube/Metro the past few days but primarily walked. It certainly helps keep the vacation pounds from sneaking on.

Gotta sleep so we can catch our train. About 9:30 (Ind time) tomorrow morning we'll be in Scotland! It's the only one of our 4 countries we haven't been to yet!

PS we're not quite half way through the trip and already at 2500 pictures...

Pictures: Tower Bridge, a Picasso painting at Tate Modern, and Big Ben at night. I don't know why some are uploading weird. Probably because I'm doing all this from my phone.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So if you want some things recorded for the queen's thing, you should let me know the basics on recording things on Eleanor...

diana said...

Don't worry about it, I don't think I could explain over an email and I don't know how much will be on US tv anyways. Thanks for offering though!!