Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Rest in Peace (again)

It's strange how life can work.  On Sunday, December 30, 2012, we gathered for the funeral service of our old neighbor, Marge Overby.  The following Friday, January 4, 2013, we received word that her husband of 53 years, Dave, had also passed.  It was weird. My sister and I had just spoke a few days earlier how good he looked at Marge's funeral.  It's hard to believe they are both gone so close.  It feels like a part of my childhood is now missing.  My sisters and I have talked recently how these are the first people close to us that we have had die.  Our Grandpa died before any of us were born.  I was almost 2 and Jen almost 4 when our Grandma died.  I have no memories of her or her death. 

It's hard to think of Dave & Marge separately.  I remember Dave hitting golf balls in their backyard.  He helped my Dad take down trees (that seemed to happen fairly often...).  I remember their old dog, Barney, and Dave taking him on walks.  You may know of my general unlove of animals; I liked Barney though. 

I will treasure the memories I have of Dave & Marge.  I hope they are together in heaven now, with Barney, rocking on the back porch.

Dave's obituary