Friday, June 21, 2013

Food DIY - Vanilla

Vanilla Extract is one of the easiest things you can make from scratch.  All you need:

vanilla beans (3)
vodka (8oz) - cheap stuff works just fine, I think I bought the cheapest the liquor store had
a container to store the extract in
a knife

1) Slice open the vanilla beans and put in container
2) Add 8 oz of vodka per 3 beans
3) Lid and shake.  Store in a cool, dark place for a few months, shaking every so often.  I flipped my beans half way through because the tops weren't covered with vodka.

The day I mixed it up.  I think I did it the day my bottles and beans came in the mail because I was so excited about it.
After a week - starting to turn colors!

Then you will have vanilla extract.   When I use vanilla beans in other baking projects (cheesecake, caramel sauce, marshmallows, etc.) I add the beans to my bottle.  

After 3 months - all ready to use!
This is one of those super super easy things to do once you have the beans. The taste is much richer than the imitation extract I used to buy and the cost of the actual ingredients is pretty comparable.  I was working on lemon extract this morning and plan to make both coconut and almond extract too when the store bought I have run out.  
 
Vanilla beans are from Amazon because 1) I had never seen them in a store (but never really looked) and 2) every blog or cookbook I've read says Amazon is the best place to get them.  My bottles are from Sur La Table.  Hobby Lobby sells similar ones but the lids don't stay on as well. 

Source: too many places to list but Annie's Eats is one and where I got my bottle inspiration.

No comments: