Thursday, July 11, 2013

FINALIZATION!!!

Today was yet another big day for little man.  Luke's only 3 1/2 months old but there have already been so many! (being born, meeting us, signing day, coming home, baptism).  Today he officially and legally became ours.  I asked Matt yesterday if he was excited, he said he's always been ours, this is just making it legal.  Which is true.  It really doesn't feel any different but it is a huge relief.


The past few days I (as usual) began to worry about it, had nightmares they were going to take him away from us in the courtroom.  But nope.  He's ours. =)

We got to the courthouse about 3pm for our 3:15 hearing only to find out they were running about an hour behind.  It was 4:06 before we went in front of the judge.  I had imagined this taking place in one of the big courtrooms where I had jury duty a year and a half ago but instead it was in a tiny room.  Present were the judge; a clerk; Matt, Luke & I; our attorney, our social worker; and both sets of grandparents.  Not too many more people would have fit in that room!  I think we were in there about 8 minutes.  The judge went through all the paperwork prepared by the attorney and then Matt & I were sworn in.  The attorney called me to the stand and asked me questions: my name, address, the name we gave Luke, his date of birth, the day he came home, my husband's name, our wedding date, if I thought it was in his best interest to be with us, and if we had ever been convicted of a felony.  Then she asked Matt if he agreed with everything I said.  The judge said a few things and declared that it was in Luke's best interest that he remain with us.  And that was it.  By 4:15 we were officially and legally a family of 3.

It was one of the happiest moments of my life.  It was exciting but exactly the same afterwards.  But I still cuddled my little boy a little closer tonight.  Still can't believe he is ours.  =)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy for all of you! Janice

Lauren said...

Ahh I may have cried a little while reading this! I am SO SO happy that everything is final and legal and YAY!!!!!!! He is most definitely your son :) xoxo!

diana said...

Thank you, thank you!

Unknown said...

:-D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!