Wednesday, July 27, 2016

ICOTW: Raspberry Pineapple Sorbet

After last week's Delectable Dark Chocolate Ice Cream I figured we'd go slightly healthier this week.  There is still a decent amount of sugar involved but this is mostly made from fruit, which is always a plus in the summer when there is so much fresh produce to take advantage of.  Although this was made completely from frozen fruit...but the pineapple was some I had bought fresh and frozen when it was on sale so that still counts as fresh produce, right?  Plus, not being dependent on weekly produce sales is important, I never seem to be organized enough to make my ice cream or drinks based off whatever is currently on sale.  BUT maybe you are...except this calls for frozen fruit so...less planning/sale watching necessary!


Raspberry Pineapple Sorbet
yield: ~6 servings
Ingredients
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 cups frozen pineapple
1 cup frozen raspberries

Directions
1) In a medium sauce pan stir together the water and the sugar over medium heat just until the sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat.  Add the pineapple and raspberries and let thaw, stir occasionally to help it along.  Let thaw and cool.
2) Place this in a blender and blend until smooth.  Refrigerate until completely cool and ready to churn.
3) Churn sorbet according to instruction for your ice cream maker.  Return to the freezer to freeze until solid.  (There are instructions at the source for churning without an ice cream maker, if you need those.)

Our Thoughts
This was some pretty delicious stuff.  I wouldn't have thought to mix pineapple and raspberry if I hadn't seen it suggested on the sit but the combination worked well together! Luke told me repeatedly while eating "You make good ice cream, Mom!" so I guess a winner in his book too!  Definitely an easy summer treat to make and enjoy.  And the color is just gorgeous!! 



Source: slightly modified from Better Homes and Garden


_____________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!

No comments: