Monday, August 22, 2016

Mixed Drink Monday: Summertime in a Glass

This time of year starts to get a little bittersweet.  Summer is winding down which brings on the loveliness of fall but...we're ready for summer to be over!  After what felt like a month of 90° temps, it's cooled off and we're actually able to open windows which is nice, but also means less time by the pool.  My runs are a lot easier when it's 70° but...it just really doesn't feel like summer.  Every lake trip in August feels monumental, like we have to really appreciate and make the most of each one because we are getting close to the end for the year.  It makes me sad just thinking about!  

So that makes it a perfect time to have a drink that is basically summer in a glass.  I originally found this and it was named a Strawberry Pina Colada.  Now that I know what a Pina Colada tastes like...I can say I don't think this tastes like one of those, even with the strawberry change.  However it does combine some of the summeriest flavors: pineapple, coconut strawberries, and oranges.  My favorite sno-cone (and the only one I've gotten for years) was a combination of those flavors (note to self: get a sno-cone before summer is over over) and just tastes so perfectly summery. 

Summertime in a Glass
yield: one drink
Ingredients
1 cup diced pineapple, fresh or frozen*
½ cup sliced strawberries, fresh or frozen*
2 tsp frozen orange juice concentrate
a generous ¼ cup cream of coconut
2 oz coconut rum
ice

*I'd recommend doing frozen for only one of these OR letting your fruit sit out for awhile to soften.  My drinks (made with all frozen fruit) were so solid when I first made them that I had to let them sit for about 20 minutes before I could drink them!

Directions
Put everything but the ice into a blender and blend until smooth.  Add ice gradually (with the blender off!) until it reaches your desired consistency.

My Thoughts
Very drinkable.  Basically like a perfectly creamy smoothie with rum, which I could barely taste and would have doubted it was there if I hadn't poured it in myself.  I mean, can you really go wrong with a perfectly summery smoothie, with rum?  No, in my opinion you can not.  I made this twice in two days!

How often do you nails practically match your drink?
Source: modified from Mirlandra's Kitchen

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: