Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Sex in a Pan


How's that for a name?  To be fair, I didn't pick it.  And I thought for awhile (a few years now) about a different name but haven't come up with anything.  (We might be lucky my kid has a name...I've been thinking about blog names for a few years and haven't come up with anything I love either.)  But "Sex in a Pan" is rather catchy, isn't it?  You kinda want to know what dessert would have that title. 


When I was growing up my Mom would make a dessert (which she also didn't name) called "The Next Best Thing to Robert Redford" which we usually just shortened to "Robert Redford".  I never had any because it involved Cool Whip, something I despise to this day.  It's what I think of anytime I see anything about Robert Redford (which is not all that often) so maybe this dessert is my "Robert Redford" although we also haven't given Luke a name for this and I'm not sure what we will tell him if that question ever comes up because...awkward.  (Not AT ALL ready to give a sex talk at 4.)

Anyways, regardless of how you feel about the name, this is a pretty fantastic and sugar (and calorie) filled dessert.  I made it for one of Luke's (three) birthday celebrations, mainly because I hadn't had in it awhile and I wanted it again without having to eat the whole cake myself.  I took it to his birthday brunch at the in-laws and came home with about 20% of the cake which has made a fantastic lunchtime dessert for Luke and I these past few days, right before quiet time would be best for a sugar crash.

It's super easy to make and mostly involves opening a bunch of store-bought ingredients and while I do like the idea of making things from scratch and all that...when you are going on birthday celebration #3 in less than a week...keeping things easy is pretty nice.  The hardest part was pounding out the Milky Ways since my kitchen hammer disappeared and I had to make do with the handle of a wrench.  It worked well enough.  And we all got to enjoy a plate full of sugar the next day.  (Matt excluded because...Lent.) 

Unless you have a large number of people living in your house I would suggest making this for a party or gathering because a little bit goes a long way!  Unless you have a much higher sugar tolerance than me!  Either way, this is a excellent way to get a chocolate and sugar fill!


Sex in a Pan
yield: 9x13 cake
Ingredients
-1 devils food cake mix + eggs, oil, water needed per the box
-1 jar caramel ice cream topping
-1 can sweetened condensed milk
-1 (12 oz) package chocolate chips
-1 fun size bag of Milky Way candy bars (freeze these!)

Directions
1) Make the cake in a 9x13 pan, per instructions and bake. 
2) When it is done, remove from oven and turn it off.  Use a straw (not a knife!  You need bigger holes!) to poke holes all over the cake.  Pour on the caramel topping and place back in the (off!) oven for 10 minutes.
3) Remove the cake and pour sweetened condensed milk on top of the cake.  Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.  Use a hammer to break the Milk Ways and add those to the top. 
4) Refrigerate until ready to eat.  Best to make the day before so all the flavors can soak in and get delicious!

 

Source: slightly modified from Cooks.com

No comments: