Wednesday, June 14, 2017

ICOTW: Homemade Chipwich


We've never bought many ice cream treats (if you've been reading this awhile and see all the ice cream I make...that's understandable) but when we do, Chipwiches are my favorite.  It's chocolate and ice cream and more chocolate and cookies...I mean, I don't know what there is not to love about them.  I guess they are a mess to eat but being outside solves most of that, messy hands aside. (Although, my 4 year old would still see that as a challenge and manage to get ice cream all over the place.)

As much as I love a good Chipwich (and I've never had a bad one), I never considered making them myself until I saw it on Pinterest.  And a light bulb went off.  It's actually the whole reason I looked for and made the vanilla ice cream I posted last week.

And let me tell you, as enjoyable as that ice cream is on it's own (and it really is), it's even better sandwiched between chocolate chip cookies and rolled in chocolate chips.

Each Chipwich has been a delight and I've had quite a few over the last few days.

I made the 6 for the pictures and wrapped them (Arby's style, that brief time spent working back line is still paying off!) in parchment paper to store in the freezer.  I did this right before we supper one night so the ice cream was still a little soft and the cookies still frozen so we just made more right there, once plates were cleared.  It might work a little better to let the ice cream harden up a little bit before eating but either way, delicious.

These are easy to make and so good.  I don't need to buy Chipwiches anymore!  I can get my favorite ice cream treat almost anytime, as long as there is some delicious ice cream in my freezer.


Homemade Chipwich
yield: up to you!
Ingredients
-chocolate chip cookies, average sized
-good quality vanilla ice cream
-mini chocolate chips

Directions
Freeze the cookies.  You don't want them breaking on you!

Let the ice cream soften on the counter for 5-10 minutes.  Put some mini chocolate chips on a plate.

Find two cookies roughly the same size and shape.  Spoon some ice cream onto one, top with the other and smoosh a little.  Roll the edges in mini chocolate chips.

Eat immediately or wrap and place in the freezer!





Sources: Chipwich inspiration from If You Give a Blonde a Kitchen, Cookie Recipe originally from Annie's Eats, Vanilla Ice Cream: Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream at Home via The Yummy Life

___________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 

No comments: