Wednesday, September 5, 2018

What I'll Remember Most About Summer 2018

I think I finally have to accept that summer is over.  Not completely because we still have a jet ski in the water but, for the most part, it's over.

For a long time "summer" was defined as "the season we aren't in school".  Then for the last 13 years, it's been Memorial Day - Labor Day.  And even though we are back on a school schedule this year, I still think of Labor Day weekend as the official end of summer.  (Even though, again, we still have at least one jet ski ride left of the year.)

So what will I remember about this summer?

Sam being a baby for one.  It feels like his whole first 3 months were mostly a blur but about the beginning of the summer is when he started napping more consistently and being a much easier baby.  So the summer brought some relief but also a super adorable, smiley baby.

I'll remember getting Luke ready for school and dreading the earlier mornings.  Going school supply shopping (doing that SO MUCH EARLIER next year) and meeting his teacher and taking 3 rounds of back to school pictures.


I'll remember lake trips, always lake trips.  But this year's meant mostly jet ski rides with just a parent and Luke and his sheer delight at every ride he got.  We took so many more in prior years that he was pretty blase about it pretty quick (although still loving it).

I'll remember countless hours spent watching my husband and his brother work on our joint pontoon while seemingly getting nowhere.  While my sister-in-law and I watched kids play and talked and had drinks (really, not a bad deal).



I'll remember the summer of the 'Stones.  Had to have the classiest beer for our super classy pontoon.  But also, it's super cheap and is actually good when the beer is cold and the temp outside is HOT.  I mostly drink my mixed drinks but I had a few Stones and talked about them a whole lot more.

I'll remember trying to fit in runs with a baby who couldn't go in the jogger.  Running either early in the morning before Matt went to work or in the heat of the late afternoon.  And being grouchy about not getting to run more even though last summer, when I was running a lot, I frequently complained to Matt about how much time running took.


I'll remember late afternoons spent around the inflatable pool when Sam finally seemed to take a good, long nap and Luke could play while I sat in the shade and read.  We love having Sam in our lives but I also loved those little moments that felt like life was like it was a year ago.  When I felt like I had things more under control.

I'll probably remember frequently being overwhelmed, especially at bedtime which usually wasn't going well and how I was out of patience by 9pm and DONE parenting after putting the boys to bed, the first time.  This will get better, right?!?!?!  (It's gotten slightly better with school.)



I'll remember making a lot of ice cream and a lot of drinks.  Reading a lot of books (50 by my count!).  Not blogging much except about those things!

I'll remember finally finalizing Sam's adoption, wondering if it was ever going to happen and then getting it scheduled and done within 10 days!  It was as exciting as Luke's!


It's actually hard to know what will stick in my mind as the most memorable parts of this summer, what will distinguish it from all the others since Luke was born.  But right now, thinking back on the last 3ish months, those are the things that stand out the most.  That might make me think "Oh yes, that was Summer 2018".

It was busy and sometimes hard but still, a lot of great days in my favorite season!  What will YOU remember most about this summer?  Tell me!

No comments: