Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Quick Lit - January

It's the first Quick Lit of January!  I do A LOT of rereading in December.  I have two series I reread every Christmastime and there is just something about being all cozy with Christmas that makes me want to reread some favorites.  Which means this January Quick Lit every year looks pretty similar.  It is what it is.

Linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy, I'm on Goodreads (a lot) here, and sometimes post about my books and reading on Instagram here.

I'm trying to post about books or reading things once a week and I am 3/3 so far in 2019.  Woo-hoo!!  Here's my other book posts from this month:


And now everything I've been reading!
 


One Day in December by Josie Silver
This was a charming and lovely book to read in December and although the title says December and I read it in December, it's not that Christmas-y and could be enjoyed anytime of year.  Laurie lives in London and sees a man at a bus stop, is pretty sure it is love at first sight, spends a year looking out for him again, talks about this mystery guy a lot, and then, her roommate brings her new boyfriend home for Laurie to meet and guess who it is?? (If you can't guess you haven't seen enough romcoms).  The story follows Laurie, Jack (the guy), and Sarah (the roommate) over many years.  It felt a little bit like One Day or Miss You but in concept, not in exact story line.  This was pretty rom-com-y but mostly fun and enjoyable. 3.5 Stars

Finding Father Christmas, Engaging Father Christmas, Kissing Father Christmas by Robin Jones Gunn
I first read this Christmas novella series in 2016 and went on to reread it again in 2017, 2018, and I just got the books for Christmas so I am sure I will be keeping that up for many years.  The first two are about Miranda who was raised in America with just her mother who died many years ago.  She never knew her father and has just one clue about him which leads her to a charming village in England right before Christmas.  The third book is about a related but never before mentioned character from the first two.  I find these charming and lovely and just perfect "get me in the mood for Christmas" reads.  3.75 Stars 

Winter Street, Winter Stroll, Winter Storms, Winter Solstice by Elin Hilderbrand
This is the other series I've read every year, the first book I've read 5 times now!  These are mostly set in December, mostly set on Nantucket, and are pretty enjoyable.  It follows the Quinn family who run an Inn and the various family member's foibles and journeys.  There is Kelley, the patriarch; Margaret, his first wife; their 3 grown children (Patrick, Kevin, and Ava) who have an assortment of significant others and children; Mitzi, his current wife; and Bart, their son who was just deployed to Afghanistan.  I enjoy these so much that the Quinns, as many faults as they have, might be my second favorite fictional family, after the Weasleys.  4 Stars

Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder by Donald Zochert
I reread the entire Little House series almost 2 years ago and had been meaning to reread this biography of Laura ever since.  It was a lot of information I had mostly gotten from other books I've read recently but I'm still fascinated by the real story of the Little House years.  And, I mostly read this while waiting in school pick-up line over 2 weeks, making good use of that time. 3 Stars




The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas by Ann Voskamp
This is an advent devotional I've read for a couple of years straight now.   It helps me focus on the real meaning of Christmas when my brain spends so much of December spinning through all the things I need (want) to get done. 4 Stars


A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams 
I think I'm at 5 reads of this book too and might name it in my top 5 books (maybe).  Like many of her books, it's told in two different time periods, 1932 and 1938?, switching back and forth between them so you slowly get two parts of the story.  Centers largely around Lily but also her childhood best friend Budgie and Lily's little sister Kiki and OF COURSE there are guys involved.  I just enjoy it so much, I even read it twice last year (accidentally, finished it January 1st and then again December 28th).  4.5 Stars

Thirsting for God: Daily Meditations by Angelo D. Scolozzi
This was the devotional I read (most) days last year.  It's focused on the writings of Saint Theresa of Calcutta (Mother Theresa) and was different from the devotionals I've used the past couple of years but a welcome change. 4 Stars


I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
I've only read a few of her books but had this one highly recommended but I thought it was a waste of my time.  There is a girl who is about to marry a guy who she barely likes.  Then she loses her engagement ring, has her phone stolen, picks up a phone she sees in the trash and starts using that one.  Turns out, it's a work phone for the assistant to a busy man but somehow she convinces him she needs the phone and will forward all work correspondence but then, guess what, she gets involved in the work stuff and do you think she ends up marrying the guy who she was engaged to in the beginning?  I honestly feel like I lost brain cells just writing that out, much less reading it.  I would not recommend unless you are looking for something completely mindless but, really, there are better options out there.  1.5 Stars

On Magnolia Lane by Denise Hunter
I've come to expect Denise Hunter to consistently have books that draw me in, make me care about the characters, and then pretty much forget the plot as soon as I am done reading.  And this one was pretty much that.   I really enjoyed her Chapel Springs series and the Summer Harbor series was pretty good too.  They are kinda like Nicholas Sparks books used to be for me - a little cheesy, I look forward to reading but then they all kinda blend together. 3 Stars

Alternate Side by Anna Quindlen
One of my personal favorite sub-genres of books (if I can even call it that) is books about people living in New York City.  I have really enjoyed our visits there and am fascinated with living there.  Since I'm not ever going to do that myself, I enjoyed reading about people who are, even if they are fictional.  This follows one woman who lives in a dead-end street in Manhattan with a pretty close group of neighbors.  It follows the activity on their street and her own personal life which was mostly enjoyable but it also wasn't one I was itching to pick up as much as I could. But I'd consider reading another one of her books.  3 Stars


The Ministry of Ordinary Place: Waking Up to God's Goodness Around You by Shannan Martin
I sat on the library hold for this for at least 2 months and by the time I got it, I completely forgot where I had heard of it in the first place.  The title is a pretty good summary of the book - ministering to the people around you, really getting close to them in order to help them.  Shannan, her husband, their kids moved to a poorer part of a new town (not too far from me!).  Her writing is at times funny and thought provoking and I've actually enjoyed this quite a bit. 3.75 Stars

What have YOU been reading lately?

No comments: