Friday, September 6, 2019

Looking Back at August

I can't start every one of these talking about how shocked I am that it is another month, as if the calendar is surprising me by doing what it's always done, but I am, yet again, surprised we are at September.  Summer is (almost) completely over, our jet ski is coming home soon and that always marks the real end (as opposed to the first "fake" ending when school starts or the second "fake" ending at Labor Day weekend).

We were home more in August than any other month of the summer, but still fit in one and a half lake trips, two trips out of state, and a whole bunch of prep for back to school.  Man, that is a process.  Now that school is fully back in session I am finding our days much more structured and actually more free time for me!  With Sam still taking a 3 hour nap on most school days, I am reading more and actually, most weeks (not this one) blogging more.  Luke is doing well at school even if our mornings don't have a solid routine and the afternoon to bedtime hours are a bit crazy.   I think Sam enjoys having Mom and the toys all to himself but then is also always happy when Luke is back home too.  It's been an adjustment but it's been good too.

Looking back:
1 year ago: Thoughts of a First Time Kindergarten Mom (this still makes me cry rereading it)
2 years ago: Drive-In Love (one of the things I miss most about our pre-kids lives is how much more we went to the drive-in)
3 years ago: Turning a Door into a Head Board
4 years ago: Every Month I'm Cupboard Painting
5 years ago: The Bathroom is DONE!!! (basically)
6 years ago: It Hurts to Grow Up...
9 years ago: California!!



1) Sam picking out book at Half Priced Books when redeeming summer reading prizes!
2) Luke picking out books at the library.  I am always thrilled when my boys go for books on their own!
3) Sam and a stick in the backyard.  As he does.
4) Warren Dunes State Park day trip!  The boys enjoyed it and it wore them out!
5) Butterfly in the backyard!
6) Ice cream to celebrate Sam's adoption day!
7) Morning glories.  I take a lot of pictures of them.
8) Luke volunteering to be helpful and clean grapes!  Sometimes this happens!
9) Canoeing the Pigeon River, it was a lot of work but also a lot of fun.  Maybe more fun when Sam is a little bigger.
10) I grow these every year but I've never had a spotted one before!
11) Perfect late summer afternoon in the backyard!
12) Sunset from a rooftop bar on date night!
13) Checking out (again) our new downtown park, fantastic views, even got an article in USA Today!
14) More of the new park, it's pretty cool and has been busy both times we've gone.  Nice to see so many people downtown!
15) Perfect golden hour at the lake.  One of my favorite times of day there!
16) The start of sunset at the lake, I try to watch these every night we are there, almost always beautiful!


Books finished: 14  (did I finish 3 of those on August 31st, helping my numbers?  Yes I did.)
Miles ran: 77.3
Currently watching: Slowly finishing up American Ninja Warrior (we've started watching all episodes with Luke and it's hard to find time for them when he doesn't watch tv on school nights!).  Matt and I are about to start The Good Place season 3 which just got on Netflix.

Most read post this month: Quick Lit and then Back to School Routine
Luke's current favorite song: For reasons completely unknown to me, he likes this Fish Heads song Matt introduced him too.  BUT Luke also says he likes Backstreet Boys a lot so that redeems his music tastes for me!

September brings a Backstreet Boys concert for me, a race Matt & I are running together, and hopefully fine tuning some school routines!

No comments: