Thursday, August 15, 2019

Quick Lit - August

Welcome to my monthly Quick Lit post!  Where I (try to) give short reviews of what I've been reading lately!  I'm much better at reading than I am about being brief about what I've read!  I had one really good reading week (when we were on lake vacation) and a really not great reading week (when we were dealing with back to school things) but it all averaged out!  I might actually get in more reading now that school has started again?

I'm on Goodreads (frequently) here, on Instagram (on weekdays) here, and linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy here.



Afraid of All the Things: Tornados, Cancer, Adoption, and Other Stuff You Need the Gospel For by Scarlet Hiltibidal
I have a natural tendency towards being afraid of all the things so this title spoke to me right off.  Yes, I was scared of adoption and I'm convinced there is something physically wrong with me often.  So it was nice to read that I am not the only one who immediately goes to worst case scenarios and that putting trust in God can help.  I have gotten better about this over the years!  4 Stars

The Overdue Life of Amy Byler by Kelly Harms
This novel is about a woman whose husband just disappeared a couple years ago, leaving her with their two school aged children.  Then all of a sudden the husband is back and wants to spend time with his kids and the wife gets a couple weeks to herself in New York City.  She finds interests that had been dormant while she was solo parenting.  I have no desire to leave my kids and husband for weeks at a time but this really spoke to me in that I shouldn't let my own interests fall by the wayside just because I spend so much of my time and energy taking care of my family.  I really enjoyed this one. 4 Stars

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson
I enjoy some YA, especially in the summer.  This one is about a teenage girl who is taking one last vacation with her family because her father has cancer and he's not doing well.  OF COURSE there is some romance and some best friend issues but I mostly enjoyed the family relationships and it made me cry SO MUCH at the end.  So much.  So be warned if you don't like crying. 3.5 Stars


Tomorrow There Will Be Sun by Dana Reinhardt
This was a different sort of book about very privileged people who go on a fancy vacation together to rent a villa in Mexico with a staff and private beach.  Then things happen.  Families fall apart.  There is drama.  It got a little over the top but it was still a good summer read, taking place somewhere exotic while I read this on my front porch in Indiana. 3 Stars

The Rosie Result by Graeme Simsion
I read The Rosie Project a couple years ago and enjoyed it and this is the third book in that series.  Don has now married Rosie and they have a son and their son might be on the spectrum and they are dealing with his issues as well as opening a bar (because those are always successful).  Not a lot happened but I mostly enjoy going back to these people every couple years, even if it had been long enough that I kinda forgot what happened in the previous book. 3 Stars

The Golden Hour by Beatriz Williams
I read every single one of her books, almost as soon as I can get my hands on a library copy.  It's told in dual time lines (like most if not all her books are) about a woman who is living in the Bahamas during World War II and befriends the Duke and Duchess of Windsor - the abdicated king and the woman he left the throne for.  I've read a good amount of World War II books but this looked at a different part of it and I just enjoy pretty much everything she writes. 4 Stars

The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand
I've read all of Elin Hilderbrand's book and this is my favorite of hers and among my favorite books period.  Adrienne is coming off of a bad experience (and boyfriend) working at a Colorado ski resort and ends up spending the summer on Nantucket, by chance getting a job as assistant manager at a fancy restaurant, The Blue Bistro, in it's last summer.  The chef doesn't seem to like her, the manager maybe definitely likes her.  I love the fast pace and all the delicious food mentioned.  I like that Indiana and South Bend get frequent shout-outs (and Notre Dame but I am pretty indifferent to them besides the fact they are in Indiana).  I read it every other year or so and enjoy it so much every time. 4.5 Stars


Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han
I reread all the To All the Boys... books this year and this was the last one.  I've written a whole post about the series back here.  Lara Jean and just a delightful character, I say it every time I mention this series, but I so enjoy her relationship with her dad and sisters.  I love that she's not afraid to do her own thing.  Then there is Peter, the handsomest of all the handsome boys.  They are pretty cute together (yes, even in a book).  Lara Jean is navigating senior year of high school here and making choices about college.  I just really enjoy revisiting these characters. 4.25 Stars


To Night Owl from Dogfish by Holly Goldberg Sloan and Meg Wolitzer
This is a middle grade novel that is kinda a reverse Parent Trap.  Two girls find out their parents are dating and secretly sending their daughters to the same summer camp so hopefully they can become friends and be ok with possibly being sisters.  But then the girls are DETERMINED not to let this happen...but then they become friends even as their chance at being sisters might be disappearing.  It's epistolary - all told through letters and the concept is a bit of a stretch at times - they write out more details than they probably really would, but it's mostly sweet.  3.25 Stars



The Accidental Beauty Queen by Teri Wilson
This was a bit far fetched at times but it was light and fun.  Twin sisters, one of them is a Harry Potter obsessed librarian.  The other is an aspiring beauty queen.  The beauty queen one has an allergic reaction and convinces her "nerdy" sister to compete for her.  Then there is a guy who meets one, thinks it's the other...it's all kinda cheesy but mostly fun. 3 Stars

Necessary People by Anna Pitoniak
I really wanted to read this because I so enjoyed her earlier book, The Futures, which was the book I then bought myself at The Strand last year.  I didn't like the cover on this one and for the first half-ish of the book I thought it really didn't match the book.  Then the cover made sense. Two friends, one rich with connections, the other trying to get away from her past.  The one trying to get away makes a name for herself at a real job while the rich one parties and travels.  Then things happen.  It went places I was not expecting; I'm not sure if there is anyone worth rooting for in this one.  2.75 Stars


The Next Right Things: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions by Emily P. Freeman
I've been listening to her podcast of the same name on and off for awhile (including while pulling pictures for this post) and really appreciate and learn from her thoughts and reflections.  I sped through the book in about 2 days after the library due date snuck up on me.  I think it would be better if I had a little more time, reading just one or two short chapters a day and reflecting on them rather than trying to get through before it had to go back.  Who couldn't use help in decision making? 4 Stars

Big Style in Small Spaces: Easy DIY Projects to Give Your Apartment, Condo, or Urban Home a Designer Look on a Budget by Sarah Dorsey
This was a super quick read about a dozen or so DIY projects.  I appreciated that she gave not only general time expectations but also how much room was physically needed for each project.  Her instructions were well done and very throughout.  I'm not sure I'll make anything from the book but I always appreciate new ideas!  3.5 Stars


American Princess: A Novel of First Daughter Alice Roosevelt by Stephanie Marie Thornton
I don't know if I found this or a picture book about Alice Roosevelt first but I found out about both around the same time in the spring.  That Alice Roosevelt was an interesting character.  I knew of her but not much about her.  She lived a somewhat tragic life - it seemed like everyone was dying around her!  She was definitely noteworthy and interesting enough to have a novel written about her.  And I appreciated a "behind the (fictional) scenes look at life in and around the White House.  3.5 Stars

The Light Over London by Julia Kelly
World War II fiction but a lighter take, as light as living through the Blitz and serving in the war can be.  Another dual timeline book with a woman in current day finding a diary of a woman who lived through World War II.  The current woman wants to figure out who the diary writer is and to get this diary back to the older woman's family.  The older woman served as a Gunner Girl during the War, helping prepare guns to shoot down enemies over London, while also involved in a romance.  There were still serious topics but I really enjoyed the book. 3.75 Stars


Chapter Books Read with Luke
Mr. Poppers Penguins by Richard Atwater
Luke was interested in this book after having seen the movie at his cousins' house, maybe a couple years ago even.  I didn't watch the movie with him but I doubt it was real close to the book.  People now would have a lot of problems with penguins being shipped to some guy's house randomly and then living in his fridge, even if there were breathing holes.  And then Mr. Popper leaving at the last minute to spend a couple years with his penguins at the North Pole, I would have expected his family to have more problems with that.  It was an interesting book to read with today's lens BUT I think Luke enjoyed it. 3 Stars

What have YOU been reading lately?  I like to be nosy about what everyone is reading!

No comments: