Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Quick Lit - October

It's once again time for me to talk about what I've been reading.   This is something I like to do regularly but rarely find people who are reading the same things as me so I am left to talking to...myself.  Or sometimes my husband if I'm really into a book (and occasionally I can get him to read them.)

I'm very active on Goodreads, post about books at least once a week on Instagram, and linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy.  Friend/follow as you see fit!

Other book posts in the past month:

https://happinessinthecrapiness.blogspot.com/2019/10/book-love-atlas-of-happiness-by-helen.html

https://happinessinthecrapiness.blogspot.com/2019/10/book-love-never-have-i-ever-by-joshilyn.html

https://happinessinthecrapiness.blogspot.com/2019/09/picture-books-about-space.html


Onto everything else I've read!


 
The Two Lila Bennetts by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke
This was pretty quickly a book I realized that I should not be reading before bed.  It quickly became a "daylight only" book even though most of the really suspenseful stuff is in the first 100 pages, so fair warning.  Lila Bennett is an attorney who has been rather selfish and made some bad choices.  One crucial evening she has a choice between two options and then the story follows both options and what happens to her in each.  It was interesting enough, even if I couldn't read it at night. 3 Stars


American Royals by Katharine McGee
I read her last series, The Thousandth Floor and had some issues with some things so I was a little leery going into this one but, no worries, this one was a delight.  Completely light and a little ridiculous but a fun, quick read.  It's an alternative history of the US, if George Washington had wanted to be king and his descendants were our royal family.  It was just a delightful read.  3.5 Stars
 

How Not to Die Alone by Richard Roper
Andrew is a man who works for some part of the British government who helps take care of people's funeral in case they die with no known relatives.  He has to go through their homes, looking for anything of value to sell for the funeral or, if he's lucky, some family member to contact to deal with it.  He kinda got roped into telling a little lie that turned into a bigger lie the longer it kept going.  So his life is a little bleak and he's also lonely. And he doesn't want to die alone like all these people he keeps seeing.  Ultimately uplifting but it took a bit to get there. 3 Stars


Anne of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery
My complaint about the later books in this series is that they have largely been Anne or other people telling stories about other people.  Anne is an interesting enough character to hold her own and yet there isn't much about her.  This one mainly followed Anne and Gilbert's children which made Anne a more central character so I liked that better and the kids were mostly delightful.  I should finish my series reread by the end of the year! 3.5 Stars 


The Friend Zone by Abby Jimenez
I don't know where I got the recommendation for this one and I also completely forgot why I wanted to read it by the time I got to it.   It's a romance and a little ridiculous at times, but I also liked how it dealt with some issues around friendship and infertility, even if the infertility issues weren't what we went through, but I appreciated seeing it in a book.  3.25 Stars


The Home Edit: A Guide to Organizing and Realizing Your House Goals by Clea Shearer and Joanna Teplin
This book has BEAUTIFUL pictures and so much organizing inspiration if you are interested in that (and I always am).  I didn't have many of the space they talk about organizing (mudroom, pantry) but it still got me thinking of ways we could improve our spaces.  Although I don't have quite the budget for pretty baskets and bins that they do. 3.5 Stars

The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters by Balli Kaur Jaswal
This is a novel about three British-Indian sisters who, upon their mother's request at her death, are traveling to India together to eventually spread her ashes but also visit some sites that were important to her.  I have 5 sisters and so I could relate to a lot of the sister dynamics (although I like to think we all have our lives slightly more together).  It was nice to read a book that just focused on female relationships with very little romance involved. 3 Stars

Mistress of the Ritz by Melanie Benjamin
This month's WWII novel based on a real life couple who lived and worked at the Paris Ritz during the Nazi occupation of Paris and the hotel.  I've read a lot of WWII books that take place in England but fewer that are in France, even fewer that take place in Paris almost entirely during the occupation.  So it was an interesting look at what life was like during that but also at how a marriage can change and the people within the marriage can change so much.  Read the author's note about what is known about the real life couple.  Fascinating.  3 Stars

Read with Luke 
Runaway Ralph by Beverly Cleary
I have fond memories of reading the Ralph book myself as a kid and I think my Mom read at least the first one aloud to us.  I had read the first to Luke a couple months ago and I was eager to continue the series but this one took us FOREVER (a month) to get through.  It didn't feel like the activity really picked up until the last half of the book.  But when we finished my son was immediately asking if there is another Ralph book so I'm sure we will read it.  3 Stars 

What have YOU been reading lately?

No comments: