Monday, June 23, 2014

Mixed Drinks Monday: drinks x's 3

First off, this is a horrible picture of this drink.  I know that.  I blame a lot of this on the bathroom and the fact that we usually aren't able to enjoy a beverage together until sometime around 11:30-midnight.  This one was after midnight.  So yeah...picture taking wasn't high priority at that time (but making this and watching some American Ninja Warrior was apparently).

This is a drink I had been meaning to make for a few weeks but it just didn't happen.   I liked that it just needed lemon juice and not lemons because buying bottled lemon juice is cheaper than lemons.  Plus a lot easier to pour out of a bottle instead of squeezing lemons.  The taste on this one was good too!  Our most successful lemonade drink to date!  Since I used fresh strawberries we didn't have a real slushy consistency but I think using frozen berries would have fixed that.  The lemonade taste wasn't over powering, if anything it was a little weak.  Definitely one worth trying again.

Strawberry Lemonade Slushie
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups ice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup lemon juice
at least 5 strawberries, cut up if you want but the blender should take care of that
1/4 cup sugar

Directions
Put everything into the blender and blend.    

Easy.  Delicious.

Strawberry Lemonade slushie
______________________________________________

Frozen Coconut Limeade
Full disclosure...I didn't make this one but thanks to a friend I got to try it (thanks, Lauren!!).   It was delicious and a nice surprise on a Sunday night.  Tasted very tropical.  The coconut flavor stood out the most with just a hint of lime.  Delicious.  I hope to make this myself sometime this summer.

frozen coconut limeade


______________________________________________
Since we were on vacation most of last week I didn't try a new alcoholic beverage since packing light is the goal.  We did share some blackberry wine from Satek which is always good.  Then we did some impulse alcohol buying at Aldi (because we shop there even on vacation).  Matt got some German beer he liked.  
I bought this which is basically like Boone's Farm but I was drawn in by the tropical label.  Impulse shopping happens a lot more on vacation than at home.  I tried a cup on our last night and it wasn't good.  Waaaay strong and it had the consistency & look of milk which was just off putting.  I poured most of my cup back into the bottle.  I want to try mixing it with orange juice or something, see if that makes it drinkable.  Sticking to things I know I like or are at least smaller...

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Glad you liked the drink!!! I was just glad I didn't have to waste all the extra I made! :-D

diana said...

Glad to help with the extra!