Monday, August 8, 2016

Mixed Drink Monday: Pina Colada

First off, can anyone even read the words without the song getting stuck in their heads?  Because I can not.  I didn't have that problem while I was drinking it but mostly definitely anytime I looked at the recipe.

Now, onto other things.

The success of a blog can largely depend on the quality of pictures.  Which is not great for a non-creative person like me.  Also, it is fairly well known that most of the time natural light gives the best pictures.  Sure, I can make things look a little better in editing and some people have huge professional lighting systems...but not me.  And with all these drink posts getting that good natural light often would often mean daytime drinking.  That's not something I am necessarily opposed to but also not something that is always possible.  In this particular instance we had spent the afternoon with some of my family at the lake.  Two of my sisters and their families went to Mass with us at 7:30.  After that the three of us changed and went on a quick jet ski spin since sunset rides are my favorite.  By the time we got back from that, it was time to get a very tired little boy ready for bed and it was my night to put him down.  He went down pretty quick but it was still after 9:30 before I sat down on the couch with Matt ready for a drink.

The sun had set by then.  The cottage doesn't have the most ideal "photos at night" lighting (and we even put it in the main room!).  So...photo options were rather limited.  This is what you get.  Sure, I could have skipped the jet ski ride and maybe gotten a better picture...but it's not worth it.  If it comes down to an evening jet ski ride or getting a slightly better picture for my blog, I'm going to pick the jet ski ride with my family every time.  I'd say that's having my priorities right.


Pina Colada
yield: one serving

Ingredients
3 oz coconut rum
6 oz pineapple juice
2 oz coconut cream (found with drink mixers)
2 cups ice

Directions
Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth.

My Thoughts
I have no idea how this was my first pina colada, especially considering my great affinity for coconut and pineapple drinks.  I was a little leery of this one because I was using coconut cream that had been in my fridge longer than I care to admit but...it still turned out great!  It was delicious, tropical, and perfect for summer!  I definitely would make again and order on our next cruise...in 20 years or whenever that happens...



Source: slightly modified from Malibu Rum via Dine and Dish

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: