Friday, February 17, 2017

Friday Five: {5} Paris Books

I've already covered some of my favorite books that take place in NYC, both contemporary fiction and non-fiction.  Now we are moving from another of my favorite cities.  I say that like I'm an expert or something when really I've spent about 8 hours in Paris.  BUT that was enough to make me want to go back.  It's near the top of a list of places I'd love to revisit if money were no object.  Anyways, here are 5 books that take place in Paris to help me live vicariously through the pages.





The Art of French Kissing by Kristin Harmel
This is a pretty light and fluffy read without being painfully light and fluffy (you probably know what I mean).  Emma is in PR and sent to Paris to work for a famous rock star.  She keeps running up against the same reporter.  And she's in Paris.  I mean, from these 3 sentences you know where the story is going but that doesn't mean it's not enjoyable anyways.





Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
This is the third book in a 3 book series but, in my opinion, the best one.  You don't need to have read the first two to understand what's going on here because other than one or two scenes, the characters from the previous books are periphery characters.  It's YA about two students at the School of America in Paris.  There are teens falling in love in Paris.  It's a sweet and charming story.   




Paris Letters by Janice Macleod
I've mentioned this book many a times here on the blog but it is one of my Paris favorites.  It's a memoir about a woman who was fed up with her life in the States and decides to save money and figure out to way to travel.  She majorly downsized (some good minimalism inspiration there) and does some traveling before settling in Paris.  Once she is there semi-permanently she has to make money somehow so she sells watercolor letters of her time in Paris (which you can still subscribe to here).   I've read this multiple times and so enjoyed each time.  And in looking for her Etsy shop link I found out she has a new book coming out this summer.  Promptly added that to my to-read list!




 
Along the Infinite Sea by Beatriz Williams
I could (almost) fill this list just with books about people who quit their current life and moved to Paris.  I've read quit a few of those.   However, I figured some good fiction, historical at that too, would be a nice change of pace.  This book is loosely connect some of Beatriz Williams' other books (many of which I've read multiple times and I still haven't figured out all the connections) but in now way do you have to read the others first.  This one is about Pepper who is uncovering the mystery of a car that she is restoring.  A mystery that goes back to Paris, the beginning of World War II, and some people on the run.  Also, that cover is gorgeous. 



 
Seven Letters from Paris by Samantha Verant 
Another "I moved to Paris" book but another good one.  Samantha was 40 and not loving her life in the States.  She finds 7 love letters she got from a Frenchmen she met in France when she was 19.  She googles the guy, they reconnect, and she ends up moving to Paris.  I mean, not to spoil it but it's pretty obvious that's where it was going.  If you've ever thought about quitting your life and moving to Paris, or just googling an ex from 21 years earlier...this might be for you.  Or if you just want to live vicariously through someone who did. 


Any Paris books to recommend?  I'm not going back anytime soon besides through books!

No comments: