Wednesday, August 30, 2017

ICOTW: Raspberry Sherbet


I've made a lot of ice cream.  I've made multiple sorbet recipes.  But, somehow, sherbet never made the list until now.  I don't even know why, turns out, it's SUPER easy.  This one calls for FOUR ingredients, a quick spin in the blender, and then churning.  Can homemade ice cream (or forms of it) can any easier?  No, it cannot.  This is definitely one of the easiest I've made.

From what I can tell, just from "I've made some recipes but I don't know the science and actual definitions behind all these things", sorbet and sherbet are very similar.  Both call for fruit and sugar.  Often lemon juice.  But sherbet has milk which makes me feel like it's between a sorbet (no dairy) and ice cream (all the dairy).  Sorta a hybrid?  I'm sure there much more to what makes them what but from my experience (which is VAST, considering I earlier admitted to this being the first sherbet I've made) (that's sarcasm), the dairy (or lack of) is the primary difference between sherbet and sorbet.

Also, the color of this is BEAUTIFUL.  I don't know that I've ever called ice cream (just to be clear, I know this isn't technically "ice cream" but anything I churn in my ice cream machine I generally refer to as such) is beautiful.  Thank you, raspberries, for being so pretty.

As for taste, this is great.  Really captures the raspberries, just whipping them up with some nice whole milk and sugar, because why not?  This is great for a "lighter" dessert (lighter than ice cream with all the heavy cream).  Tastes perfectly summer even though frozen berries are involved so it could be made anytime.  Definitely worth a try if you have an ice cream machine.  (And, I think it's safe to say at this point that all my regular readers know how I feel about owning an ice cream machine.  You should have one and use it.  The end.)

Raspberry Sherbet
yield: about 1 quart

Ingredients
-4 cups (450g) raspberries, fresh or frozen
-2 cups (500 ml) whole milk
-1 cup (200g) sugar
-1½ tsp lemon juice

Directions
Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.  Strain if you wish to remove the seeds.

Churn immediately, per your machine's instructions.  Freeze in an air-tight container with a piece of parchment paper pressed on top, removing as many air bubbles as possible.

Once fully frozen, you will likely need to let this sit at room temp for about 10 minutes before it's scoopable.   

Source: slightly modified from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
 ___________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 

No comments: