Wednesday, August 28, 2019

ICOTW: Sour Cream and Brown Sugar Frozen Custard

When I think of custard I think of Ritter's Frozen Custard which we used to visit semi-often when I was a teen.  I feel like every time we helped with a big project or yardwork day at my parents, once we were all cleaned and showered and exhausted, my Dad would declare we were going to Ritter's and we'd all get frozen custard.  These large projects were usually helping cut down a dead tree.  And by "help cut down" I mean my Dad did all the cutting but my sisters and I would haul all the branches to the back of the property to be burned, load up the tractor wagon with logs for the log pile, and rake all the leaves.  I feel like we were constantly dealing with dead trees in my teens but really it was probably just a dozen or so, maybe not even that many.  But it felt like I spent a lot of Saturdays dealing with trees.

I haven't helped with a dead tree since before we were married but eating custard, or just hearing the word, makes me think of those Saturdays.  I did not have to help with a tree to enjoy this custard, just had to make it and separate a whole lot of eggs.  Egg separating is not my favorite kitchen task.  I've done it dozens of times but I always get anxious, feel like I am going to mess it up or put the whites and yolks in the wrong bowls or mix them together or just fail.  It always helps to have some extra eggs on hand, it eases my fears if I know I have a little room for error in my separating.

I have not posted many custard recipes.  And the maybe ONE I posted I actually titled as ice cream although it has a whole lot of egg yolks and had a very similar texture to this one.  Maybe it was actually custard?  It's at least the closest I have to one on the blog until now.  This recipe comes from Midwest Living, a magazine to which I do not subscribe but my Mom does/did and passes on her read magazines (mostly) to me.  I have a slightly irrational love for brown sugar, although not irrational because brown sugar is delicious, and immediately knew I would make this.  Does Luke ask for a bit of plain brown sugar anytime he sees me using it?  Yes.  I have NO IDEA where he learned that.

Thanks to all the egg yolks, custard is very thick and very rich.  I ate a couple spoonfuls to taste test before writing this post and that was about enough.  (Plus I am about to run and I don't need food settling weird for that).  Add in some whole milk and heavy cream and full-fat sour cream...this is not a light dessert.  But a little serving is also plenty.  It's very rich but has a fantastic taste.  It's named after brown sugar and sour cream but neither of those flavors stand out, just a wonderful, full taste.  Delicious.

One year ago: Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Ice Cream

Two years ago: Dark Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream
Three years ago: The Darkest Chocolate Ice Cream
Four years ago: Fudgesicles (between pulling recipes for this section and writing the post...I made a batch of these and they are DELICIOUS)

Sour Cream & Brown Sugar Frozen Custard
yield: about 1 quart
Ingredients
-6 egg yolks
-1½ cups whole milk
-1 cup heavy cream
-1/3 cup sugar
-1/3 cup packed brown sugar
-3 TB light corn syrup
-1/8 tsp sea salt
-1/3 cup sour cream (not light)
-1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
1) In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks until they are well beaten.  Set aside.

2) In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the milk, cream, both sugars, corn syrup, and sea salt.  Bring to a simmer, careful not to let it boil.  Remove from heat.

3) Slowly pour the warm milk/sugar/cream mixture into the beaten egg yolks, whisking the whole time, keep whisking until all the liquid has been added.  Pour back into the saucepan, placing over medium heat.  Stir constantly, cooking until the custard is noticeably thicker, coats the back of a spoon, and reaches 160°.

4) Pour it through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl, discarding any solids.  Whisk in the sour cream and vanilla extract and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.

5) Freeze custard in your ice cream machine, according to the manufacturer's instructions.  Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze until solid, at least overnight.  Enjoy!



Source: slightly modified from Midwest Living magazine, March/April 2018
__________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 

No comments: