Thursday, April 29, 2021

Things I Like - April

Some months I really struggle to come up with 5 things that I am enjoying, especially since I removed books from my options with doing monthly Quick Lits.  But, with both boys having birthdays last month as well as Easter and a host of more gift buying on the horizon (May brings Luke's 1st Communion, Mother's Day, and our anniversary!), I think I'll probably be good for a few more months!

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, links for which are included within this post, at no additional cost to you.  Thanks for helping support this blog!
 

1) Shining Light Dolls
A few of my sisters have been into these for awhile and despite buying two of them at our Cathedral Bookstore for the boys almost a year ago...I didn't get them out until last month.  I didn't know if they would be into them and didn't really want to gift them and didn't know what to do with them.  But one I bought was St. Patrick and March was the perfect time to get him out and so St. Michael the Archangel just came with him.  And the boys were surprisingly interested!  They were familiar with both saints since we pray the St. Michael prayer at the end of every Mass and they've definitely heard of St. Patrick (Matt's family is strongly Irish).  By the time Easter rolled around and we could freely (within budget) spend money again...I had 6 more in my online shopping cart.  I narrowed it down to 3 (which are now sitting in a basket, possibly to be introduced at Luke's 1st Communion?  Still deciding) and then bought another when Matt & I had a date that included another stop at the Cathedral Bookstore (St. Cecilia, my confirmation saint who now sits on my desk).  They are adorable and a great way to introduce and include talk of saints to your family!  Their Instagram also features a Saint of the Day with a drawing in the style of the dolls along with their story which has introduced me to a lot more saints!

2) Carrie Underwood My Savior worship album
We're just going to lean right into the religious to start the post.  Carrie is one of my long-time favorites (seen her in concert 3 times, my personal best which I will tie whenever the Backstreet Boys concert I bought tickets for 14 months ago ever, finally, happens) and I also appreciate some worship music, especially as the soundtrack to our school breakfast eating (there is something very calming and centering about it).  I was rather excited when I saw his album announced and then Matt bought it for me for Easter (after a heavy suggestion from me but he did place the order himself, we're making progress).  It has classics that I know well and some I know less well and some I don't remember ever hearing before plus, Carrie's lovely voice.  We've been listening to it every morning since I finally loaded it on my phone! (We definitely aren't getting through the whole thing before school!).

3) Oreo Thins Lemon Creme Sandwich Cookies
Continuing with our Easter basket theme, since I got a package of these in mine (which I definitely did buy myself).  I can thank Target in including them under "Easter basket treats" in the app when I was searching for more Easter basket ideas for the boys...and ended up with some for me.  I do enjoy a lemon cookie and had never tried their thin cookies before.  These are delightful with a perfect amount of lemon and a heavy dose of creme to cookie ratio.  I haven't shared these but don't worry, Matt & the boys have PLENTY of other Easter sugar to consume.  With the thin cookies I've made the package last over 2 weeks and I'm still barely half way through!

4) Outer Space Floor Puzzle
This was a birthday gift we gave Sam because we've been reading a lot of space books and he's been getting into puzzles (I guess myself having puzzles on our dining table for a good 2 months this winter had a slight influence on him!).  It's the perfect difficulty for him right now.  The first time he did it I helped a lot and every time since he's been doing more of it on his own.  He can't do it completely independently yet which is good because then it's longer until he's no longer interested!  The art is charming and he especially likes "the little moon!".  This was a good buy for him.

5) Target Silicone Baking Cups
I bought fantastic silicone baking cups at IKEA over 6 years ago and I really liked them but never saw them at IKEA again.  Then I was shopping for paper muffin cups at Target and these came up in my search.  I bought them so fast.  They are the best ones I've seen in a store since my IKEA find, even a little taller than those.  They fill the muffin tin cups better than Wilton ones I got from my sister's garage sale pile 5ish years ago and they are thin, which means they are easy to peel off the cupcake or muffin.  I am very happy with them and very much recommend them to anyone looking for silicone muffin cups.  Paper muffin liners aren't a lot of waste but since we are continually trying to reduce our waste, these are an easy way to do that, plus the money savings over time (we always do cupcakes for the boys' birthday party!).  

What have YOU been liking lately?

No comments: