Saturday, June 9, 2012

Home sweet home

There really is no place like home. We were excited to be in the US when we finally got to Chicago. After a two hour layover we were ready to be home home. My parents, so helpfully, picked us up. Exciting to see familiar faces. Strange driving on the right side of the road. We flew over a highway when taking off from Chicago and I was thrown off at first by the direction of the cars. I got used to it being backwards.

I don't think I've ever been more excited to be HOME. The first 10 minutes I just kept walking around, also exclaiming how big our house is. After 2 weeks of B&B rooms our house seems huge!!! Couldn't stop smiling, it is so so so good to be home. I love traveling and Europe was great. But it's not home.

Been on the ground about 3 hours and everything is unpacked and put away except souvenirs. Still need to do laundry but no rush since it was just done on Tuesday (we usually go 2-3 weeks).

Big thanks to my sister, Erin, for taking good care of our house. I highly recommend her, we came home to freshly baked soft pretzels and ice cream cake in the freezer!!

One last picture: my 4 page itinerary and Rick Steves books were my lifeline these past 2 weeks. The itinerary had all our flight/train times, confirmed costs, addresses, hours, phone numbers, etc. We would have been lost without it (literally lost). Countless hours went into preparing that, a lot spent reading those books.

We did it! We survived our big European adventure. =). Now we sleep. It's about 4am to my tired, UK timed body. I really don't know that our own bed has ever felt this good.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

:-) I don't mind house sitting, I'll do it any time. and I wanted to make the pretzels better than I did last time https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1532592392388&set=a.1491615367988.2063042.1162110027&type=3&theater

Oh and one more note for you, You might want to oil the front door dead bolt (Travis said that you could oil it, it was news to me) but it is next to impossible to lock it and than you get to play the game 'let's try to get the key out' Yeah, I don't think that you go through that door often and lock it from there, so you might not realize, but I had a fear that I was going to break the key in it.... Just so you know :-)

diana said...

Were they better than the first batch? I didn't have any of those but these were pretty good!

I'll have Matt look into the lock. I know it's a pain so I usually just go out the back door even if I'm just walking to the library. Thanks.

Unknown said...

In my opinion they were, I just didn't have the chance to eat them all.

I think that the lock got worse through the two weeks. At first I was able to lock it, but the last 3 or 4 days it become a pain, and I would always think about going out the back door when I was arguing with the dead bolt already... :-)

diana said...

Yikes...it's on my mental list of things to look at...just hasn't happened yet...

I like that you couldn't eat them all!!