Sunday, March 17, 2013

Applesauce Granola

Matt's favorite cereal is granola but I would limit him to a box or two a month because it was pricey.   I had tried making it myself but wasn't happy with the results.  Then my friend, Pam, shared this recipe and now I'm making granola that we both enjoy.

Applesauce Granola

Ingredients

1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 TB vegetable oil
2 TB honey

5 cups oats (I use quick or old-fashioned, whichever we have)
1-2 cups of nuts (we use sliced almonds)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt

Optional add-ins - use 1/2 - 1cup-ish:
raisins
dried cranberries
white chocolate chips

Instructions
1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2) Combine applesauce, honey, and vegetable oil in a small saucepan on the stove (I measure 1 TB oil, 1 TB honey, 1 oil, 1 honey to make the honey come off the spoon easier.)  Warm over low heat.


3) In a large bowl combine oats, nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.  When the applesauce mixture is combined add it to the oats mixture and stir to coat.

4) Spread into a 9x13 baking pan and bake for 60-80 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.  It will turn brown when it is getting close to being done.  (Matt likes his granola crunchy, almost like Grape-Nuts so I bake close to 80 minutes.)

5) Stir in raisins or other add-ins and let cool before storing.
__________________________________________________________


This is the base recipes but we change up what we mix-in.  The last time I used white chocolate chips and cranberries.  That's Matt's preferred.  I like just raisins and almonds. 

I've done price calculations and come up with about $2.50 for a batch that produces 8 cups.  That comes out to $0.31/cup compared to Aldi granola cereal at $0.43/cup.  It greatly depends on your mix-ins though.  The sliced almonds alone cost $1.25 for this version (and are cheaper, per ounce, at Gordon's than Aldi).  Taking those out would greatly reduce the cost.  I didn't calculate what the white chocolate and cranberries cost because those have both been in the cupboard long enough that I don't have the receipt.  I also have free homemade applesauce from bartering with my sister.  However, even if the costs are identical I would bet this is healthier (if I was really ambitious I would do a calorie count but I haven't.)

I will keep making it because it is relatively simple and I like being able to change up what we mix-in.  And it's just delicious.  Even before it's in the oven.  I never stand over the counter eating it straight out the mixing bowl.  Nope.  Never.
_____________________________
Adapted from Fake Ginger :: Applesauce Granola

No comments: