Sunday, March 31, 2013

Making room for baby & some other stuff

I've been big on getting rid of things lately.  It's been a problem for me in the past because I can be very sentimental but sometimes I am astounded at what I still have (during one recent purge session I found my world history notes from sophomore year of high school; they have since been recycled).  I've been trying really hard to get rid of things and our garage sale/Goodwill pile in the basement is getting pretty big.  Part of this is just wanting less: less to deal with, less to store, less to have to move (someday).  Part because we need to make room for a baby and our little 1200 sq foot house doesn't have gobs of space.  So...I've been working on that.  I've been going through (what will be) the nursery and either getting rid of things or figuring out where else they can go in the house.  I had a problem with my gift wrap supplies and trying to merge them into my scrapbook/craft area.  I felt like Monica in this Friends moment:


Seriously, had a while where I didn't know where the ribbons would go (they have since found a home).  I get really excited when I figure out a new thing to get rid of (lately it's been Vera Bradley - been selling some on eBay) and then want to immediately put it in the to sell/to donate/recycle/trash.  That's what I am usually thinking about when I drive (besides actually driving).  That and new house projects.  I keep thinking of more faster than I check them off (lately it's been curtains for multiple rooms).

Since spring is finally here (and it makes me so happy) I've been able to do some spray painting outside.  I was accumulated a box of things to paint but needed the weather to be above 50 (for best results, according to the can).  All things we've had that are either being moved to a different room OR things that I'm just trying to match better.  This is the only one that's done with all coats and back in the house.  My magazine/library book basket:


The bottom picture is with my phone so the color doesn't come through quite right.  I've somehow convinced Matt we need pink accents in the front room (probably coming from our slight-flamingo themed front porch).  This is mainly in pink flowers, hopefully some pink pillows (if I can ever find fabric I like), and this basket.  Nobody really sees it because it's between the couch and end table but knowing it matches better now makes me happy.  Not a bad upgrade for less than $4 of paint.

Also exciting now that it's really spring...we are running!!  I ran a mile on Friday and we ran another mile again today.  My ankle so far is surviving ok.  I ice it and am still on prescription pain meds or Aleve every day.  I know a mile is far from the 13.1 we will be running in September but considering I haven't really run in about 20 months and to make it out twice in a weekend...that's pretty exciting.  I'm waiting for the "running doesn't suck moment" when my endurance is much better...but it's still exciting.  I've liked running before and I know I will again.  Once we get up to 2 miles fairly comfortably we'll start the actual mini training.  AND we got some more people talked into running this mini with us.  I think we're up to around 12?


Besides all that...it's Easter!  Hallelujah!  It so so nice that the weather cooperated for today and we got some good outside time.  It's been waaaaay too long since that happened.  I love spring.  It's even better after the seemingly never ending winter we had this year.  We got time with most of both families today; always such a good reminder of how blessed we are to have such close, loving families.  Seriously don't think we could have made out much better. =)

A couple weeks ago I posted about my failed Titanic bread.   That's what I call it in my head because I read a book about the Titanic while I was staying up waiting for it to finish rising & bake.  Even though that bread making experience was very frustrating, I really liked how it tasted.  So when I needed bread this weekend I tried again and this time it seemingly came out perfect:


I let it rise for much longer than the recipe recommended which was probably part of my problem last time.  Plus I started this loaf on a Saturday morning instead of trying to fit it in after work which means I wasn't rushed waiting for it to rise.  I only had a small piece but I think it was delicious again.  When I bake bread I let it cool and then slice and immediately freeze.  I've heard homemade bread can mold much quicker since it doesn't have the preservatives so I bake as needed and freeze until the night before.  It's worked for me so far. 

That about it for now.  We leave for NYC in a few days which is exciting and kinda crazy. This moment might be what I am most looking forward to:

Drinking Jamba Juice in Times Square.  Matt might say I'm obsessed (the other day I paused the tv to tell him that 2 characters were walking by a Jamba Juice in NYC...he was not impressed) but really, I'm just excited.  We went for the first time 2 1/2 years ago and really enjoyed it.  This time we are taking my little sister and her BFF.  That in itself will be an adventure.  Pretty good we'll make London, Paris, and NYC in less than 12 months. =)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I noticed that the basket was painted and I really liked it. It is amazing how just giving something a nice fresh coat of paint can change it!

diana said...

I know! I'm a big fan of spray painting right now. Seriously. I have soooo many projects in mind.