Wednesday, July 24, 2013

My 20s

A few weeks ago I started to reflect back on the past decade of my life: my 20s.  I turned 20 the summer between my sophomore and junior years of college.  Matt and I had just been dating for a year.  My life now seems so completely different than it was 10 years ago.  At that time I was a daugher, sister, girlfriend, college student, friend, and janitor.  Now 10 years later I'm a daughter, sister, WIFE, former accountant, friend, MOTHER, aunt, godmother, daughter-in-law, and sister-in-law. 

I have so many of the things that seemed to be distant dreams back then.  A brief summary:

-graduated college
-got a real job
-got engaged
-bought a house
-got married (those first 5 were all in 12 months)
-went on my last vacation with my parents and sisters: to the Smokeys and Charleston, SC
-went on 12 vacations with Matt, adding 7 new states to my list and 4 countries, doing everything from snorkeling in Hawaii and gambling on the Vegas strip to drinking tea at a palace in London and eating crepes under the Eiffel Tower
-saw 4 of my sisters and countless friends & cousins get married
-bought my first car, drove it for 8 years and sold it
-bought jet skis used them for 5 summers, sold them, bought a new one
-went skydiving twice
-became an aunt - first by marrying into Matt's family and then when my sister had kids
-saw Backstreet Boys, Carrie Underwood (3xs...), Zac Brown Band, Kenny Chesney, Hunter Hayes, Craig Morgan, Josh Turner, Billy Currington, and various other opening acts in concert

The two biggest milestones of probably my whole life happened in my 20s: first becoming a wife by marrying Matt:
We look so young!!
And then becoming a Mom when we got Luke:
Luke is so little!!
My whole life pretty much revolves around my 2 boys now. (A few days ago I was telling Matt how this is the first time I've lived in a male dominated household and then corrected that saying a male majority household because we both know I dominate around here.  To which Matt pointed out that it's really Luke in charge right now.  Which is 1,000% true.)

Anyways.  Other than many of the people in it, so little of my life is the same as it was 10 years ago.   I start to freak out a little when I realize I won't be in my 20s anymore...30 is like a whole new category!!  But at the same time, the older I get the better I feel I know myself.  As mature as I thought I was at 20 I know I've done a whole lot of growing up since then.

I am apprehensively excited to see what my 30s bring.  Here's to growing up!

No comments: