Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Christmas treats: Jam Filled Butter Cookies

A few years ago, before Pinterest, I "needed" more Christmas treats to round out my cookie plate.  I stumbled across these on AllRecipes.com and they have been a staple every Christmas sinces.  The cookie part is light and buttery and the jam is a nice bonus.  They are one of Matt's favorites.  You can pretend they are a little healthy since there is fruit in there!  I mean, also butter and sugar but still...there is fruit so that counts for something.

Jam Filled Butter Cookies
Ingredients:
-3/4 cup of butter, at room temperature if you think to take it out of the fridge early (I did not)
-1/2 cup sugar
-2 egg yolks
-1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
-1/4 - 1/2 cup fruit preserves

Directions:
1) Preheat the oven to 375°
2) Cream the butter with the sugar and egg yolks until creamy and well mixed.  Add the flour a little at a time (I do in 7 1/4 cup increments) until a soft dough forms.
3) Roll the dough in balls about ping-pong ball sized and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
4) Use a measuring spoon (I use 1/4 tsp) or your finger to flatten and press an indent into each ball.
5) Fill the hole with a heaping 1/4 tsp of preserves.  
6)  Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes (my oven is super slow and takes longer), until the cookies are golden brown on the bottom.  Allow to cool briefly on the cookie sheets before transferring to a wire rack.  

These freeze well until ready to be eaten.  Or eat them right away.  They are delicious then too.

Source: barely adapted from AllRecipes

No comments: