Monday, June 9, 2014

Mixed Drinks Monday: Malibu drink

When I first posted about this project I wrote that I hoped to do two drinks a week, one alcoholic and one non but guess what, sometime life gets in the way of the best plans.  And by "life" I pretty much mean a bathroom project.  This weekend I finally hit my breaking point on that, turns out that's 3 days without a shower, 2 nights of little sleep, and looking at 1 more whole day without a toilet (as I write this we are currently toiletless).  There were tears.  A lot.  Then Matt said quite possibly the most romantic thing he's ever said: "Do you want me to take Luke to the store with me so you can unpack."  Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  And "unpack" turned into "nap" which meant I then had to unpack with Luke toddling/whining around but that nap was pretty amazing. 

So because of that, and basically the bathroom taking over everything this weekend, I only made one drink.  I had planned to do the second on Sunday night (after Saturday night and Sunday afternoon didn't happen) but when we collapsed on the couch after 10pm, completely exhausted, opening a Magnum bar and not having a blender to clean out was waaay more appealing.

I did make another batch of this sun tea with raspberries instead of blackberries and it was also amazing.   The raspberries looked a bit like a weird science experiment floating in the jar but it did make a pretty redish-pinkish light.

I did have this outside in the sun, this was after I brought it in 5-6 hours later.
I'm going to be buying a lot of frozen fruit this summer to make more tea.  If you haven't already tried it I highly encourage you to do so. 
Enjoying some sun tea at the lake.
Malibu Drink
Of course the one drink I did make this weekend had alcohol but really...remember 3 days without a shower and I think alcohol is rather appropriate. 

Ingredients:
-1 6oz can of pineapple juice (I have found these in 6 packs at Walmart and Kroger)
-1 ounce of grenadine
-2 ounces pineapple rum
Excuse the poor picture taking.  It's usually nighttime when I'm mixing and taking these.
Directions:
Combine everything and add ice.

As far as I can tell, this is called a Malibu drink because the original recipe called for Malibu pineapple rum.  I had Cruzan pineapple rum though so I used that (we bought this bottle duty free on our last cruise...almost 6 years ago).  I also skipped the cherry juice the original recipe called for because I am picky how I like cherries (basically plain black cherries) and nothing cherry flavored.  I did make sure I used grenadine this time though and not red wine vinegar.  Helps that we didn't have vinegar at the lake with us.

The result?  Very sweet.  It was still drinkable but sweet.  I think that was from the grenadine which is basically colored sugar water.  The cherry juice might have helped cut the sweetness a little.  But this was a lot easier to mix up than the sex on a beach a few weeks ago because all the ingredients were even ounce measurements, none of this weird .3oz stuff.

Even though I still have 5 cans of pineapple juice I'm more likely to mix those with coconut rum rather than make this one again.  It wasn't bad, I drank it all, but not my preferred method of drinking pineapple juice.

Malibu drink

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: