Monday, August 18, 2014

Mixed Drinks Monday: Pineapple Mojitos & Coconut Peach Lemonade


The over abundance of mint in my garden has led to a little mojito kick (two weeks in a row totally counts as a "kick").  I love being able to use my harvest, especially because I haven't figured out much use for mint beyond mojitos.  Even if that's all I use them for, I still feel pretty fancy and accomplished for being able to pick it for my drinks.  That means it'll probably reapear next year and more mojitos are in our future.

Pineapple Mojitos
yield: 1 drink
ingredients
12 mint leaves
2 oz (1/4 cup) fresh pineapple chunks
ice
1 oz (2 TB) lime juice
1/2 ounce (1 TB) simple syrup
2 ounce (1/4 cup) coconut rum
1/2 ounce (1 TB) Triple Sec
3 oz (6 TB) ginger ale

directions
Muddle the mint & pineapple in the bottom of a glass.  Add crushed ice and stir.  Add all remaining ingredients.  Stir.  Enjoy.

my thoughts
This one was ok.  It was a perfectly acceptable drink but not something I'd be rushing to make again.  Plus, I didn't like using 1/4 can of ginger ale for a drink.  If I want to make use of mint from the garden I'd prefer to drink last week's raspberry mojito.  Except this week I did remember to use a straw which meant no weird mint leaves in my mouth.  That part was a pretty big improvement.


Coconut Peach Lemonade
yield: 2 servings
ingredients
1 heaping TB honey
1 cup coconut water
1 ripe peach, pit removed
1/4 cup lemon juice
ice

directions
Put all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.  Serve.
 
my thoughts
Not my favorite drink.  I think the coconut water gave it a pretty watered down and weird taste (and I've liked coconut water in other things).  Maybe my peach wasn't ripe enough?  I don't know exactly what it was but I didn't care for this one.  Luke did like the bit he got though, when he woke up from his nap.



pineapple mojitos    coconut peach lemonade

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: