Monday, August 25, 2014

Mixed Drink Monday: frozen strawberry daquiri & sparkling raspberry lemonade

Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri
This was the drink I had on my 21st birthday and was my go-to beverage out choice for years (when I'd actually buy drinks which wasn't often).  It's hard to really screw this one up.  It's ingredient list is nice and short and the directions are impossible to mess up.  This is the kind of drink I need a standard, go-to recipe for but I don't think this one is it, at least not without some modifications.

Ingredients
yield: 2 drinks
1 lb frozen strawberries
3/4 cup crushed ice
3/4 cup rum
1/3 cup lime juice
1/4 cup sugar

Directions
Combine everything in a blender and blend until smooth (about a minute).  Pour into glass and enjoy.

My thoughts
I thought the lime taste was a little overpowering.  That might be my fault though because I was making half batches my measuring wasn't super precise, plus I don't think I used enough strawberries because I just used one of my frozen containers I'm pretty sure now was less than a pound.  It could be good if the strawberry flavor was stronger and the lime less noticeable.  Add this to the (rather long) list of drinks I kinda screwed up this summer.  I will try again though.


Sparkling Raspberry Lemonade
I've made a lot of flavored lemonade recipes this summer, many of them sparkling too.  Is there any beverage that more says "summer" than lemonade though?

Ingredients
12 raspberries, either frozen or fresh
1/4 cup sugar
1 (12oz) can frozen lemonade concentrate
1-2 liters of sparkling water or club soda
ice

Directions
1) Combine the raspberries, sugar, and lemonade concentrate in a blender.  Blend until smooth.  Put into a strainer set over a bowl to remove the seeds (I actually did this!).  Refriderate until ready to serve.
2) To serve, combine raspberry-lemonade syrup with sparkling water.  (I did about 1/3 syrup to 2/3 sparkling water.)  Add ice.

My thoughts
We really liked this one.  Probably my favorite of all the sparkling beverages we've had this summer.  It was sweet but not too sweet.  The lemonade and raspberry flavors were perfectly balanced.  It really did taste like one of those fancy lemonade drinks you can buy at restaurants (but we rarely do).  It was easy to make and easy to serve.  I've enjoyed every glass I've had. 

I need to get more creative with my picture taking.

fresh strawberry daquiri  sparkling raspberry lemonade

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: