Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Helpful hints: homemade jewelry cleaner

When we first got engaged and then married I got my rings professionally cleaned often.  We seemed to be in that part of town a lot and I couldn't resist having an extra sparkly ring.  Now that rarely seems to happen and my ring can get gross.  I take it off before really dirty jobs (like garden work or doing dishes) but plenty of normal grime ends up on there.  For awhile I would let my ring soak overnight in Windex.  That worked pretty well but then I stopped buying Windex.  I was hesitant to try any homemade cleaners because I was afraid of what it would do to my ring.  My ring finally got gross enough though that I tried one.  And it worked.  Wonderfully.  So this is  now something I do at least once a month, usually when I'm cleaning the microwave.


Homemade Jewelry Cleaner*
Ingredients
1 TB salt
1 TB baking soda
1 TB dish detergent
1 cup water

Directions
1) Microwave the water in a glass measuring cup for 2 minutes.
2) Add the salt, soda, and detergent.  It'll get fizzy.
3) Drop in your jewelry and leave for about 10 minutes.
4) Clean your microwave since the steam from heating up the water loosened the gunk (optional).
5) Plug your drain and rinse your jewelry with cold water.  It should be all clean and sparkly!


*I've only tried this on my engagement/wedding ring which is white gold.  It's all pretty common things so I would guess most jewelry would be fine, but obviously use your head.


source

No comments: