Monday, November 10, 2014

Mixed Drink Monday: sherbet mimosa

Sherbet Mimosas
When one of my sisters got married a few years ago we had all intentions of having mimosas while we were getting ready before the ceremony.  I brought champagne (that had been sitting in our cupboard for a number of years) and a fellow sister-bridesmaid brought orange juice.  Then, as tends to happen, the morning was a little crazier than we planned.  I remember my little sister feeding me a sandwich while I gave a bottle to my 2 month old nephew while pretty much every other person in the house ran around loading things up and getting ready.  We never got the mimosas made although I hauled around a bottle of champagne most of the day, just in case.

A few weeks later we were going on our family camping trip.  Once again we aimed to make mimosas.  I don't remember all what happened that time but they ended up being made with Sunny D and mango wine from our favorite local winery.  Not quite a real mimosa but I remember them being good.

I saw this pin though and thought it would be something easy to try.

I bought the sherbet months ago (before surgery) and we had another free bottle of champagne in the cupboard (the original bottle was finally consumed at a New Years Eve party, a good 5+ years after we got it.  The kinda of champagne we have isn't the kind that gets better with age.).  I don't know how these compare to real mimosa because I don't think I've ever had one.  BUT this was pretty good.

Ingredients:
Orange Sherbet
Champagne

Directions:
Put some orange sherbet in a glass.  Fill the rest of the way with champagne.  Enjoy.

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!


My thoughts:
These were super easy to make.  Super easy.  The consistency was similar to the vanilla ice cream/sprite floats we used to make when I was little.  Obviously the ratio of champagne to sherbet will vary but I thought it was a good balance.  And you get ice cream with your drink.  That's like having your cake and eating it too.

Source: Pinterest told me the pin I have leads to a bad website so I didn't click.  But there are many versions of this on the web.

3 comments:

Pennylane4647 said...

I think this is a great idea! I historically don't like traditional mimosas just because I'm really not a big fan of orange juice - I find it overwhelmingly acidic! BUT - I could eat a whole carton of orange sherbert if my stomach would allow me. I'm going to give this a try sometime. This would be a great idea for a bridal or baby shower!

Pennylane4647 said...

Ok...well maybe not a baby shower since the Mom-to-be can't partake without society scorning her...

diana said...

I don't care much for regular OJ either but I liked this! Hahaha...would have worked for my baby shower! =)