Monday, April 13, 2015

Mixed Drinks Monday: smoothies x2

It's been awhile since I've done one of these!  Giving up alcohol for Lent obviously doesn't lend itself to new drink recipes.  Although these are both smoothies with no alcohol so Lent isn't a very good reason.  I was on a huge smoothie kick this weekend, making 3 in a little over 24 hours.  I think the warmer temps of spring and summer just seem much more smoothie appropriate plus I wanted to use up some homemade yogurt before it went bad.   These were both winners and ones I would definitely make again!  I think Luke & I will be having smoothies for our Friday morning snacks through the summer.  New tradition.

Oat-Coconut Smoothie
Ingredients:
-1/2 large banana or 1 whole small banana
-1/3 cup orange juice

-1/3 cup Greek yogurt (I used homemade for both of these)

-1/4 old-fashioned rolled oats
-2 TB coconut oil
-1 TB honey

-1/2 cup ice

Instructions:
Put everything in the blender and blend until smooth.

My Thoughts:
This had a strong orange taste from the juice but the coconut was very visible as well.  The oats were so ground that I hardly noticed they were there.  Sweet but not overly so, almost the perfect balance of flavors.  The only thing I would do differently next time is either melt the coconut oil before adding it so it would blend more smoothly or just reduce to 1TB.  The bottom was rather coconut oil heavy and drinking pretty straight oil isn't the most appetizing.  But besides that, it was wonderful!  Luke loved it too, I had to fight it away from him!



Coconut Raspberry Smoothie
Ingredients:
1 cup coconut water
1 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
2TB honey

Directions:
Put everything in the blender and blend.

My Thoughts:
Another winner.  This one wasn't as thick but had great taste.  The coconut and raspberry flavors were perfect and the honey was just enough sweetness.  I don't often buy coconut water but had some in my fridge from a 50% Cartwheel buy a long time ago (it wasn't expired yet!).  It was super easy to make and relatively healthy.  I like having treats on Sunday afternoons while I read my Entertainment Weekly during naptime.  This is certainly a healthier (and easier) choice than my occasional frozen coke!  Although I ate a snack pack of Combos while reading/drinking so that probably canceled out any health benefits (I love Combos). 

The worst part about making smoothies is cleaning out the blender afterwards.  It's nice having some reliable recipes for when the mood strikes!  Definitely making both of these again.

Sources:
Oat-Coconut torn out from Martha Stewart Living magazine, I believe (somehow I've been getting that, without ever subscribing or paying, since last summer).
Coconut raspberry torn out from Family Circle magazine, that one I did subscribe to but for free!

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: