Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Ice Cream of the Week: Strawberry Sorbet

Last year I decided to tackle my Drinks board on Pinterest by making 1-2 new ones a week.  I had over 90 pins when I started and it's now down to a reasonable 18.  That project has been ongoing, as you've noticed if you read regularly. 

This summer, along with continuing new drinks, I decided I needed to start trying more ice cream recipes too.  Why not throw in 3 new recipes a week to test my sanity and grocery list making abilities (I refuse to go more than once a week and Matt even does the run every other week.).  My ice cream board is much more reasonable to start, around 18 pins at the moment, and I'm not limiting this to just ice cream but basically anything frozen - ice cream, popsicles, frozen yogurt, etc.  So far we are one for one on this project.  That obviously means it'll continue all summer perfectly.


Strawberry Sorbet
yield: about 4 servings
Ingredients
-1 pound ripe strawberries, washed and hauled
-1/2 cup cold water
-1/2 sugar
-1 TB lemon or lime juice (we used lemon)
-1 TB vodka (optional but gives it a slightly better consistency)

You obviously come here for my superb picture taking.
Directions
1) Wash and haul all strawberries.  Put them in the blender with the water and blend until very smooth.   You can strain to remove the seeds but we didn't and they were barely noticable.
2) Stir in the rest of the ingredients until the sugar is dissolved.
3) Refrigerate until chilled.
4) When ready to make, put strawberry mixture in the bowl of your ice cream maker according to the manufacture's instructions and mix for 30 minutes.  Freeze for 30 minutes if needed (we didn't).

My Thoughts
This was delicious and so easy to throw together.  To make sure our berries didn't go bad, Luke and I blended the strawberries on a Tuesday or Wednesday and it got a few days in the freezer before we made it at the lake on Sunday.  Certainly something easy to make ahead of time and serve for a (small) gathering.  It tasted like extra smooth and frozen strawberry jam which isn't a bad thing at all.  With 4 servings the sugar content isn't ridiculous, most of the sweetness coming from the berries.  This was a winner and something we'd definitely make again.

Strawberry Sorbet 

_____________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!

No comments: