Monday, June 1, 2015

Mixed Drink Monday: Friday smoothie and Frozen Coconut Limeade

I was nervous/excited to check my yogurt on Friday morning.  Nervous since my last two attempts hadn't worked out but excited because I was thinking I finally remembered a crucial part (leaving on the oven light).  AND it worked!  I made yogurt.  Then I looked at my smoothie recipe and realized this one didn't even call for yogurt.........  So.  That victory was short lived.  BUT the ice cream recipe coming later this week did need yogurt so it all turned out ok.

Strawberry Banana Coconut Pineapple Smoothies
yield: 2 decent sized adult drinks or generous adult and child smoothies
Ingredients:
-1 cup coconut milk
-1 cup frozen strawberries
-1 cup frozen pineapple (on sale for $1 at Aldi right now!  I need to buy more to cut up and freeze!)
-1 frozen banana

Directions:
Put in blender and blend.

My Thoughts:
This was pretty good.  Good mix of flavors and pretty much 100% healthy.  Luke loved it, even begging more off me a few times.  It all very summery flavors and mixed well.  It would be worth making again.

Frozen Coconut Limeade
yield: 2-3 servings
Ingredients:
-2 1/2 cups small or crushed ice cubes
-1 cup coconut milk
-1/3 cup lime juice
-3 TB sugar
-lime for garnish (optional)

Directions
Add everything to a blender (besides garnish lime slices) and blend until smooth.  Pour into glasses and garnish if desired.

My Thoughts
Way back early last summer, when we were in the depths of the bathroom remodel and I was showering at my sister's every night, my friend, Lauren, texted me and asked if I wanted to stop by her house and pick up some extra coconut limeade she had made.  It was about 9pm but I was heading to my sister's soon (NEVER underestimate how wonderful it is to have a shower at your house!) so I said sure and stopped by to pick it up (this may have been one of the nights I was later than expected...sorry, E!).  It was delicious.  For some reason it took me a year to actually make it myself, probably because I was intent on making my own coconut milk instead of buying (I have obviously given up on that for the time being.  Although, if you are so inclined, another friend, Monica, has a recipe here that I do plan to try some day...).  Since we have 1/2 gallon of coconut milk to use up this is a great recipe to have on hand.  It's easy, quick, and tastes very summery.  Although we drank ours on a 55° rainy Sunday, not exactly ideal summer weather.  It has a great consistency and stayed icy for a long time (the 55° outside probably helped).  I could definitely see us making this again before the summer is over.

Easy Strawberry Smoothie
Frozen Coconut Limeade

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: