Thursday, February 11, 2016

Super Easy Overnight Oatmeal

I'm a big fan of oatmeal.  When we were in Europe, I ate it at every single B&B that offered it.  If I had to name my favorite restaurant breakfast it would be Panera's blueberry oatmeal, although, we super rarely eat breakfast out and the only reason I had that was for my last work review.  I always loved the peaches & cream or strawberries & cream instant varieties growing up even though we rarely had them.  I tried making my own instant mix a few years ago but it was always too sweet and I've realized I don't care for the taste of nonfat dry milk.  So, my oatmeal mornings are rather limited because I don't think I've ever, in my life, just made it from a canister of oats.  Plus, I also really love cereal. 

This overnight oatmeal is fantastic because it's super easy and quick to make the day before, just takes a minute or two in the microwave in the morning, and is so customizable.  I first tried it last August when it wasn't exactly hot oatmeal weather but still had it 4 mornings in a row. 


Overnight Oatmeal
yield: one serving but multiply as needed!
Ingredients:
~1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
~1/3 cup milk (I like slightly runnier oatmeal so I add closer to 1/2 cup)
~1/3 cup yogurt
mix-ins of your choosing! (I usually do a handful of frozen blueberries, a spoonful of brown sugar, and some cinnamon)

Directions:
Put everything in a container.  Stir.  Cover.  Refrigerate overnight (or up to a few days).  Can be eaten cold or warm.

That's it!  If I'm eating this multiple days in a row then I mix up one in a rubbermaid-like container the night before and then as soon as I'm finished eating it in the morning I just refill and stick back in the fridge for the next day.  These chilly winter days have been perfect oatmeal weather!

Source: Our Semi-Organic Life

No comments: