Tuesday, June 7, 2016

{4} Ingredient Nutella Turnovers

I worked at Arby's during parts of high school and college.  We got half priced food all the time and many of the guys I worked with would order full meals at 9pm when they finished their shift.  I've rarely in my life eaten a whole meal that late but I also couldn't stomach the idea of eating more of the food I had been surrounded by for hours.  They didn't sell chocolate turnovers back when I worked there but if they did, I would have probably been buying them all too often (so it's really good they didn't).  We always get Arby's for our anniversary date at the drive-in and I always got a chocolate turnover (until they apparently stopped selling them this year!).  So it's a good thing I can make my own that are just as good, if not better.  We might be selfish parents but we don't share these with Luke.  I don't think he'd appreciate them enough, also each batch makes 4 and 4 divides by 2 by easier than by 3.  Sorry, dear son.  I'll give you some fruit snacks and you'll be almost as happy.




{4) Ingredient Nutella Turnovers
yield: 4 turnovers
Ingredients
-1/2 box Puff Pastry
-Nutella
-powdered sugar
-1 egg

Directions
1) Thaw puff pastry according to box instructions.
2) Preheat the oven to 400°.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat (definitely worth buying if you bake often!). 
3) Cut one pastry sheet into 4 pieces.  Spread Nutella on half of each piece and then fold the rest over.  I like the look of the triangle turnovers (pictured above) but the ones folded like a hot dog bun were easier to eat.
4) Beat 1 egg with 1 TB of water in a small bowl and spread over the top of pastries with a pastry brush. 
5) Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.  They will puff up quite a bit (hence the "puff pastry" name).  Sprinkle with powdered sugar after removing from the oven.

We store these airtight at room temperature...but they never last long anyways.



Source: The 36th Avenue

No comments: