Saturday, July 16, 2016

Quick Lit - What I've Been Reading, July 2016

I love reading, you know that if you've been here awhile.  I've been trying to make an extra effort lately to seek out new (to me) titles and authors and also better consider what I'm reading.  Part of that is seeking out more recommendations.  In the interest of that, linking with the Modern Mrs. Darcy with books I've finished lately.  Some of these might pop up again later but I love seeing what others are reading and I know I'm not the only one!


When We Meet Again by Kristin Harmel
One of my most anticipated reads for the summer and it was very enjoyable.  I liked that there was a little bit of history involved (I feel like I've been reading a lot of contemporary stories lately?) and more heart that some books.  I didn't figure out the ending and that always makes me get through a book a little quicker.  Worth the read!

A Certain Age by: Beatriz Williams
Another anticipated read!  I didn't love it as much as some of her other novels, maybe because it didn't have the flash forward and flashback mystery aspect of a few of those?  But it was still told from two perspectives which were easy enough to keep track of.  Took place in the early 50s I believe?  I read a decent amount of historical fiction but lately that's meant World War II time so it was nice to read about a different era, even if only slightly.  And with 20 pages to go I still didn't know how it would end.  Very enjoyable read.

Design*Sponge at Home by: Grace Bonney
I like reading design books and usually can get through them in about a day.  This one took me 5!  I think it was longer than some I've read in the past but also didn't hold my interest as much.  Yes, a lot of pretty eye candy but I don't know that I took anything away from it.

Here's to Us by: Elin Hilderbrand
A lot of my anticipated reads came out in June!  (And I got on the library lists early enough...).  Her books are almost always my ideal summer read - they just feel like they should be read on the beach and have that light, breezy feel, even if I'm reading it in my house.  Usually not mindless with complicated characters you want to see happy.  This was told from multiple perspectives which always takes a little bit to get the characters down but not too long that it's frustrating.  I always get excited when a new book comes out because chances are pretty good I'll really enjoy it and have a great reading experiences.

Sweetbitter by: Stephanie Danler
Following up a winner with a dud.  I had hoped this would be like The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand (a restaurant book I really enjoy) but it wasn't.  Not at all.  I couldn't root for the main characters or identify with her at all.  She just seemed like a...difficult person?  Like I wanted to slap some sense into her, in a very nice way.  I would not recommend this book.  I should have given up on it.


Keep Me Posted by: Liza Beazley
This book wasn't deep or complicated although you have to suspend some belief: two sisters start writing letters back and forth that then end up on the internet.  Just go with it.  It was a nice summer read because it was easy and enjoyable and you wanted the sisters to figure things out.  Don't add it to your list if you are already drowning in it but if you are looking for something to read this might be for you.

The Assistants by: Camille Perri
Better than Sweetbitter but not my favorite book I've read recently.  Reminded me a little of Office Space (although I haven't seen that movie in ~15 years) in that the employees are ripping off their employer.  Things go a little awry.  Things get worked out.  Actually a mix of Office Space and The Devil Wears Prada which might not seem like they go together and would be a strange mix, which might explain by somewhat mixed feelings about this book.  But it was short and easy enough to get through. But not amazing.

I never finish my to-read list but am always willing to add to it!  What else should I read??

No comments: