Wednesday, August 17, 2016

ICOTW: Coconut Raspberry Frozen Yogurt

I try to be about a week ahead on posts for the blog.  It gives me a little leeway and I feel more comfortable writing when I know it's not going up immediately.  The last post I usually schedule for a week is the ice cream post.  It's hard to get too ahead on those because that involves making a lot of ice cream which then doesn't get eaten real fast.  Until now.  I went on a big ice cream making spree, made 4 in a week, and got myself a little ahead.  It was pretty exciting knowing we had so many fantastic options in the freezer but also that I could relax a little bit on the ice cream making.  I mean, having a freezer full of homemade ice cream certainly isn't a problem when you are in week #3 of temps in the 90°s!  There are far, far worse things in life!

I bought these bowls, intending them to be our popcorn bowls, on my recent IKEA trip. (I wonder how many times I can reference my 45 minutes at the store on the blog...I think I'm up to three.)  We had been on the hunt for slightly special popcorn bowls for awhile - a big one and some individual serving ones.  At the lake we use these colored metal bowls and when I saw these silver ones at IKEA I knew they would work.  Our big bowl is a wooden one from Valentine's clearance at Target.  They don't really match but isn't mixing finishes a big thing?  I think so.  And these are great for all my ice cream pictures.  Expect to see them a lot more.


Coconut Raspberry Frozen Yogurt
yield: about one quart
Ingredients
¾ cup raspberries (or substitute fruit of your choosing)
3 cups plain Greek yogurt
13.5 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
¾ cup sugar

Directions
1) Combine all ingredients, stirring really well.  Refrigerate for about an hour, letting the sugar completely dissolve.

2) Churn according to your ice cream maker instructions.  Either serve immediately or freeze to firm up.

Our Thoughts
This is certainly one of the healthier ice cream recipes I've made in awhile.  No heavy cream, not a lot of sugar.  Greek yogurt is pretty healthy, right?  Certainly on the healthier end of the frozen treat spectrum.  Now, with that said, it wasn't the most amazing of any ice cream recipe I've made (because, hello no cream and not much sugar) but it was good, really good, for being as healthy(ish) as it is.  Certainly worth making, an eating, when you need a break from the really rich stuff and at least want to pretend you are being healthy while still getting your ice cream in!


Source: Smitten Kitchen via Everyday Reading

_____________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!

No comments: