Wednesday, August 31, 2016

ICOTW: The Darkest Chocolate Ice Cream

If you are an astute reader you may have noticed I already posted one chocolate ice cream recipe this summer.  I realize that.  But, in my opinion, chocolate is pretty much the best flavor of ice cream and so it doesn't hurt to try another one.  Worst case, I have to eat a lot of chocolate ice cream which isn't a bad deal at all, in my opinion.

As for which one is better?  Well I certainly preferred this method because tempering eggs and dealing with those in ice cream just isn't my favorite.  If the idea of that intimidates you too, I'd recommend this one.  The first recipe might be a little richer?  I think but, obviously, would need to do a side by side comparison to be sure.  Sounds like a good project for next summer!  Maybe I should just do ice cream flavor-off bracket style and figure out which one of all the flavors I've made is the absolute best.  That doesn't sound at all like a bad way to spend a summer...  Although I might have to up my workouts to compensate??

If you are not a coffee drinker, do not be turned off by the coffee in this recipe.  I could pretty much count on one hand the number of cups of coffee (heavily flavored with other things) I've had in my life.  I am not a coffee drinker at all.  But I didn't mind it here!  I stole this ½ cup from Matt one morning before he set off to work on the porch foundation after being up late watching the Olympics the night before (might be dating this post a little here...).  I'm super considerate like that.  And he's nice and generous like that, especially for ice cream he won't even eat.  (Something about too chocolatey...I don't understand how that's a thing...)

If you need some fairly easy, homemade chocolate ice cream in your life.  I'd recommend this one.  Worst case you don't like it and have to give it to me!



The Darkest Chocolate Ice Cream
yield: about 1 quart
Ingredients
Chocolate Syrup
-½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
-½ cup brewed coffee
-½ cup sugar
-1½ ounces bittersweet chocolate (55%-72%), chopped

Ice Cream Base
-2 cups whole milk
-1 TB + 1 tsp corn starch
-1½ ounces (3 TB) cream cheese, softened
-1/8 tsp kosher salt
-1 cup heavy cream
-½ cup sugar
-2 TB corn syrup

Instructions
Prep
To make the chocolate syrup, combine the cocoa, coffee, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, and let boil for about 30 seconds.  Remove from heat, add the chocolate, and let stand for 5 minutes.  Stir until smooth.  Set aside.

Pour the milk into a glass measuring cup.  Pour about 2TB of that milk into a small bowl and mix with the cornstarch to make a smooth slurry.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, warm chocolate syrup, and salt until smooth.
Fill a large bowl with ice and cold water.  Add a gallon ziploc bag.

Cook
Combine the remaining milk, cream, sugar, and corn syrup in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, bringing to a rolling boil.  Boil for 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and slowly whisk in the cornstarch slurry.  Bring it back to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture will coat the back of your spoon/spatula.  About 1 minute.  Remove from heat.

Slowly whisk the hot milk/cream mixture into the cream cheese/chocolate/salt.  Mix until smooth.  Pour into the ziploc bag, seal, and set in the bowl of ice.  Let stand until chilled, about 30 minutes.

Freeze
Pour the ice cream into the base of your ice cream machine and churn per instructions.  Pack into a freezer container and cover top with a piece of parchment paper directly on top of the ice cream.  Freeze until solid, at least 4 hours.


Source: Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by Jeni Britton Bauer

_____________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!

No comments: