Monday, May 15, 2017

Quick Lit - May

Another month, another book post!  With some lazy (hopefully) summer days ahead, maybe I can finally get my TBR below 40!  I'm very active on Goodreads, friend me over there!

Other book posts in the past month:
 

http://happinessinthecrapiness.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-right-kind-of-phone-books.html






Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
This was a phenomenal book.  There is a disease, wipes out a good portion of the population.  It starts at the beginning and then bounces back and forth telling the (sometimes) interconnected stories of a bunch of people.  It was different from almost every thing else I've read and so well done.  4.5 Stars

Love the House You're In: 40 Ways to Improve Your Home and Change Your Life by Paige Rien
This was a rare random library pick-up and it was fine.  I've read a decent number of home/design/DIY books over the years and while this one didn't have anything really mind blowing, it did get me thinking about a few things (and inspired this post: 10 Things I Love About Our House) so it was a worthwhile read.  3 Stars

Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way by Shauna Niequist
I've read most of her books now and I think I've enjoyed everyone more (even though I am reading them in backwards order).  A collection of essays on thoughts, change, learning the hard way (just like the title says...).  I've listened to many podcast episodes with her as a guest (just by searching her name in the podcast app) and I think hearing her talk makes me like her books even more.  Worthwhile if you need some help accepting things in your life.  Or if you just need to be inspired.  4 Stars
 

Lucky Broken Girl by Ruth Behar
Middle grade fiction (with a fantastic cover), based on the author's real-life experience of spending close to a year in a body cast following a car accident in the 60s? 70s?  I forget how far back.  It was a really quick read (since it's written for ~10 year olds) but a interesting and likeable one. If you need to remember the feeling of being 10/11/12 and some of those growing feelings but then mixed in with the horribleness of being bedridden and at the mercy of others the whole time.  3.5 Stars

Salty Kisses by Robin Jones Gunn
The latest in the long saga of Christy & Todd and all of their "forever friends".  Christy & Todd are settling into this parenting thing with new house guests and road trip to see some other old friends.  A LOT of cameos by characters from other books, seriously, almost everyone she's ever written about in this world.  I will read everything she ever writes about these people.  Ever.  Been in my life for 20+ years now so I'm a little invested. (Although I think the series may have peaked around The College Years?  Maybe?)  4 Stars


Fireworks by Katie Cotungo
This one brought a very different kind of teenage years nostalgia!  It's about two best friends picked to be pop stars in a new girl group.  In Orlando.  In the late 90s.  If you don't know, that's the time and place that great "boy bands" like Backstreet Boys (maybe my all-time favorite music, no judging) and NSync began.  I wouldn't have read this book if it was about being a popstar right now.  But late 90s?  I'm all in for that.  I never wanted to be a famous anything but I found this really enjoyable.  3.5 Stars


Flight of Dreams by Ariel Lawhon
I picked up this one after enjoying her The Wife, The Maid, and the MistressBoth books based on historical facts but with missing details filled in.  In this case, the doomed flight of the Hindenburg in 1937.  You guys, I really thought the Hindenburg was a blimp until I read this book.  I had no idea it basically had a hotel on board and that civilians died.  Apparently I missed all of that in history class.  I enjoyed it quite a bit besides never being able to keep straight some of the names.  I feel a little more educated now.   3.5 Stars

The Lifegiving Home: Creating a Place of Belonging and Becoming by Sally and Sarah Clarkson
I really wanted to like this book after hearing it spoken of very highly.  It's written by a mother/daughter pair and looks how to make your home life giving, family oriented , and welcoming.  All things I completely agree with!  But it felt a little bit like "we have this all figured out and this is what our perfect family did"...and that was off putting.  2.5 Stars

The Danish Way of Parenting: What the Happiest People in the World Know about Raising Confident, Capable Kids by Jessica Joelle Alexander and Iben Dissing Sandahl
Another random library pull (occasionally I feel like my TBR stack isn't big enough and I panic!) and it wasn't a great one.  I don't disagree with anything in this book really but I read the whole thing and still don't see what it had to do with being Danish.  It mostly just seemed like good parenting tips capitalizing on the Danish/Nordic trend?  I believe it was self-published originally...which makes sense.  Avoid.  Unless you are super intrigued.  2.5 Stars


What have YOU been reading lately?  Tell me below!

No comments: