Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Grilled Ham & Pineapple Sandwich


Let's just start with the obvious here.  Grilled cheese sandwiches are not real photogenic.  Somehow restaurants can get away with it with their super thick bread and all that but...I don't have that.  I have a standard loaf from Aldi.  And mine don't turn out pretty. 

BUT

That's pretty ok because they do turn out delicious and what is really the most important here?

(I mean, pretty would help if I was posting this to Instagram but...you'll just have to take my word for it that the taste is better than the looks.)

I have very fond taste memories of making this sandwich over a 4th of July weekend many years ago, maybe 2008?  (Side note: today I heard of something referred to as about 20 years ago which my mind automatically thinks "80s" and then they said it was from the late 90s....so.  That makes me feel old.)

I made this many times over that weekend ~9 years ago and then kept meaning to make it again but I rarely had all the ingredients at the same time (namely: whipped cream cheese) so it never happened again until recently.  And it was just as delicious and delightful as I remember it being.

I'm sure we are all familiar with grilled cheese sandwiches and the general method for making them.  This one is a little messier to make than most with needing to spread something on both sides of a piece of bread (I can never do this without getting a butter covered hand) but it washes off easily enough.

I'm not saying you'll only like this if you like pineapple pizza (which I adamantly do) but having affection for fruit warm and with meat does help. (It's not that strange of combination...who hasn't had pineapple on a cooked ham at some point in their life??)

So, if you like ham and you like pineapple and you like grilled cheese, give this a shot.  It's delicious. 


Grilled Ham & Pineapple Sandwich
yield: one sandwich
Ingredients
-2 slices of bread
-5-6 slices of deli meat ham
-whipped cream cheese
-one pineapple ring (fresh if you have it otherwise canned works too!)

Directions
Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread.  Put one, butter side down, in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Top with slices of ham and a pineapple ring.  On the non-buttered side of the other piece of bread spread some whipped cream cheese.  Place, cream cheese side down, on the pineapple.  Cook each side for a few minutes, until a nice golden brown.  Serve!



Source: slightly adapted from AllRecipes

No comments: