Wednesday, August 9, 2017

ICOTW: Coconut Pineapple Popsicles


I mentioned in my last popsicle post that we had been running into a bit of a popsicle mold problem.  I seem to be making them faster than we can eat them (also doesn't help when we ALSO have 4 kinds of homemade ice cream in the freezer right now).  And while I can store a bunch of cartons of ice cream, I only own so many popsicle molds. 

It reallllly doesn't help when one recipe makes EIGHTEEN popsicles.  And that's this recipe, right here.

Eighteen popsicles is a lot.  I don't think any other ice cream or popsicle I've made has given me 18 servings.  It's really something I should have thought of when looking at the larger quantities of ingredients and how many molds I had free at the moment.

But, nope.  It didn't hit me until I saw how full the blender was and how few molds were currently empty.

That sparked A LOT of popsicle eating.  I think we ate a total of 8 in a few hours, specifically the ones in bigger molds so I could fit in more of this new recipe.  I had to keep a tally of how many popsicles this recipe made because I made 12 first.  Then forced some popsicles in my family.  Washed and refilled molds.  A few hours later we ate more popsicles, I washed and refilled the molds.  It was a full afternoon process.

So, if you are in the market for a large popsicle quantity or just only want to make them once to last a few weeks, I have your recipe right now.

If you are just looking for a creamy, rich, coconut pineapple recipe, well this works for that too (but you'll still end up with a bunch of popsicles).

I already posted a coconut pineapple popsicle recipe earlier this summer and those were a nice light treat for hot days.  I really liked them.  These are still a nice treat for a hot day but I wouldn't say they are so light.  Definitely rich.  Definitely creamy.  Definitely more sugar in this one.  BUT, that doesn't mean not good (just less healthy).  It all depends on what you are after!  Both good solutions to the "I need a pineapple coconut popsicle" problem you may be having.



Coconut Pineapple Popsicles
yield: depends on mold size, I got 18
Ingredients
-1 20-oz can of pineapple chunks OR the equivalent of fresh (cored and cut) pineapple
-1 14.5-oz can of sweetened coconut milk (canned, not refrigerated kind)
-4 ounces cream cheese, softened
-1/2 - 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk (yes, I know this isn't a whole can)

Directions
Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  Pour into molds and freeze until solid.  Enjoy!


Source: slightly modified from Saving Dessert

___________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 

No comments: