Monday, August 14, 2017

Mixed Drink Monday: (Rock Me Like a) Hurricane



I've never had a Hurricane or been in a hurricane and I doubt the two are related much.  Hurricanes (the weather phenomenon) are powerful and can be devastating.  Hurricane (the drink) are just powerful.  But also delicious. 

These are another one of those lovely drinks where you just pour a bunch of stuff in a glass (although, not that much in this case!), add ice, stir, and voila!  Your drink is done.  I don't know why I have it in my head that summer drinks = frozen drinks because I think only half of what I post/make are frozen drinks.  Maybe I just feel like I am cleaning out the blender often between these drinks and smoothies. 

(Although, to be honest, almost 100% of the time I just put hot water in the blender, add soap, blend that, and rinse.  I think it works great and is much quicker.  It's made me hate cleaning the blender much less.)

These are a delight to drink, in part because they combine two of my summer favorites: coconut and pineapple.  I should start a spreadsheet of all the drink I've made, keeping track of flavors.  I'm more than 70 drinks in at this point and I'm bound to repeat.  But also, I like a good spreadsheet and tracking things (someday I'll blog about my budget spreadsheet with 11 tabs, among the handful of spreadsheets I use regularly).

I don't know how I got from talking about hurricanes to spreadsheets with little said about this drink.  Here's the short of it: it's easy to mix up, it only takes 4 ingredients (plus ice), it's delicious and tastes like summer.  What more could you ask for?




Hurricane
yield: one serving
Ingredients
-2 parts rum (I used coconut)
-2 parts pineapple juice
-1 part Triple Sec
-splash of grenadine
-ice

Directions
I started with 2TB each of rum and pineapple juice, 1TB Triple Sec but that was a super small drink so I ended up tripling it, maybe going slightly heavier on the pineapple juice.  Stir together all liquids and add ice!



Source: this picture from Dekuyper

 __________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!  

No comments: