Wednesday, July 11, 2018

ICOTW: Strawberry Gelato


We went strawberry picking a few weeks ago, me and my boys.  I wasn't sure how it would go with a 3 month old and a 5 year old who was mostly interested in peeing outside the last time we went picking (these are things I NEVER experienced growing up with all sisters).  So I got my Mom to go with us and we headed out.  Managed almost an hour in the field, once the baby fell asleep and big brother actually got into picking!  I mean, between the two of us we only got about 2.5 pounds but the berries were SO good and my expectations SO low that I was pretty happy with that.

I turned most of our picked strawberries (that weren't immediately consumed) into ice cream.  Both this recipe here and this one back from the archives.  It was in the middle of a 4 day streak of churning ice cream every day (including another one still coming and an archived recipe).  Let me tell you, a 4 day streak of churning ice cream produces some pretty nice results for your freezer.  And then I haven't churned one since because...4 kinds of ice cream in the freezer.

When I made this I hadn't ever had gelato.  Then I let it cool in the fridge overnight while my ice cream machine base refroze from the last batch.  We went to Mass and a going away party for our priest where they had individual cups of gelato.  My immediate thoughts on gelato: it tastes just like ice cream.  I'm sure there are certain requirements to make something gelato instead of ice cream...but I have no idea what they are.  I liked the gelato I had that night.  I like this gelato.  I like most ice creams.  And everything I post here that I refer to as ice cream but might be sorbet or sherbet or frozen yogurt.  It's all very good.  Especially when temps are hitting 95° like they are today.  I think I need another 4 day streak of churning ice cream.


One year ago: Salted Honey Ice Cream
Two years ago: Lemonade Ice Cream
Three years ago: Peach Sangria Popsicles


Strawberry Gelato
yield: about 1 quart
Ingredients 
-¾ cup sugar
-1TB cornstarch
-1 cup whole milk
-¾ cup heavy cream
-½ tsp vanilla
-2½ cups fresh strawberries, washed and hulled

Directions
1) In a medium saucepan whisk together the sugar and cornstarch.  Slowly add the milk and heavy cream.  Place the pan over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, until it begins to bubble and thicken, about 5-10 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
2) Pour into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture, and put in the fridge until completely cool.
3) Meanwhile, puree the strawberries in the blender until smooth.  Press through a sieve to remove the seeds, pressing as much through as possible with a spatula. 
4) Once the creamy mixture is cooled, stir in the strained strawberries.  Recover with plastic wrap directly on top of it and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
5) Churn according to your machine's instructions.  Place in a freezer-safe container with a piece of parchment paper directly on top of the gelato.  Freeze at least 2 hours before serving. 



 

Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

_________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 

No comments: