Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Starting Sam's Reading Journey

We've lived less than a block from the library for our entire marriage.  The day we first walked through our house, our realtor was talking about the bars and restaurants within walking distance and how great that was and we were like "Yeah, but the LIBRARY."  We have our priorities.

I've been going to the library at least once a week (most weeks, when not on crutches and in town) for the last 12 years, as well as a couple more stops during the week to drop off books (get things out of my house NOW).  So when Luke was a baby he started going to the library with me pretty young.  The annual summer reading program started when he was a few months old and the librarians told me I could sign him up.  My initial thought was "But he's a baby." but they said I still could so I did but he never got a prize because I wasn't real motivated to read to a 3 month old and it had been YEARS since I read picture books beyond the Berenstain Bears.

Fast forward to when Luke was 15 months and the summer reading program rolled around again, this time I saw value in signing him up and he got the first two prizes but it took almost 2 months.  We never got all the way to #3.

Then later that year I had foot surgery #2 that put me on crutches for 6 weeks.  Luke and I barely left the house (and never on our own) that whole time.  We read a lot of books.  A LOT.  Specifically this one and this one, each 5 times a day, almost every day, for 6 weeks.


Reading became a part of our routine and the next summer he finished the library's summer reading program in a few weeks.  This year I finished the whole thing in 2 weeks and each of the boys in 3.

There's a lot different with the second kid and the fact that he tags along on most of what big brother does really changes what he's exposed to at a young age.  When Sam came along he got read to, a lot, from a much young age.

Plus, I know A LOT more about good picture books, and where to get good recs for good picture books (Janssen at Everyday Reading and Sarah at The Read Aloud Revival are both GREAT places) and have read A LOT of kid books in the last couple years.

It was reading The Read-Aloud Family over the summer that really motivated me to read specifically to Sam, not just having him on the couch with Luke and I when we are reading.  There are all kinds of benefits to reading to kids, even babies, and so why not start as soon as possible?  It helps with language and is good bonding time, helps with comprehension and gives me an excuse to cuddle with my boys, both of whom are at stages that are pretty resistant to that right now.

I try to read a (small) stack of picture books to Luke most days after school, usually after Sam is down for a nap.  And then usually 1-2 more before bed.


I aim to read Sam 5 board books every day when Luke is at school.  We got through all of ours pretty quick and now I've been checking them out from the library.  Some of them seem really pointless to read but it's teaching him things and I can usually get him to sit still for 5, even if some days I have to read pretty fast.  I try to pull these when he's down for nap #1 and have them all ready to go on the couch so as soon as he finishes his post-nap bottle I can read his books to him before he gets completely squirmy to get down (baby has learned to MOVE and has little patience for sitting still unless there is food involved).

I've learned that I keep better habits when I am tracking them (which could be a whole other blog post) so the 1,000 books before kindergarten has been hugely motivating for me.

I keep a shelf on Goodreads for both boys (Luke, Sam) and add books to them either as I read them (Sam) or before we return to the library (Luke).  Luke hit 1,100+ different books before kindergarten and Sam is around 100, even months before he's 1 (once he's not trying to destroy every book I read and we can move beyond board books I have SO MANY good ones I want to read to him!).  Seeing those numbers continue to grow really keeps me motivating to keep reading.  I know, it should just be the benefits but I have a mind for numbers, so keeping track really helps.


We are by no means perfect about any of this.  I can go days without reading to Luke when our afternoons and evenings get busy.  Sam is slightly more consistent but still not great.  (And his 5 board books can be read in under 5 minutes).  But we aim for it and having a goal, and tracking it, has really helped us get more consistent.

I love reading.  I love reading to my boys.  I hope it helped Luke learn to talk well fairly young and can do the same for Sam.  I hope it's helping Luke in school.  It's made me introduce topics to them that I wouldn't have otherwise, at this age (recently I've had to explain 9/11 and slavery to Luke because they've come up in picture books we were reading, felt pretty incompetent at both).  But reading has been great bonding with both of them and I hope they will each have lovely memories of their Mom cuddling them, reading to them, and learning about our world.


Books Lists I've Written:
{15} Essential Picture Books
{100} Picture Books to Read This Summer
{25} Christmas Picture Books

No comments: