Thursday, December 20, 2018

What I Hope my Boys Remember About Christmas

Part of getting married has been deciding what traditions to pull into our new little family from what each of us grew up with.  And one of the most tradition filled times of the year is the Christmas season. 


I have very fond memories of Christmastime as a kid.  There was Christmas at Grandma's, always the Sunday before Christmas (unless that was Christmas Eve and then it was a week earlier).  Christmas Eve at home with my parents and sisters.  Christmas morning with presents from "Santa".  Getting together with my Dad's side usually after Christmas.  Begging my Dad to drive downtown past Santa as many times as we could but almost always when coming home from Christmas at Grandma's. 

For my whole childhood we bought presents for all our other sisters and then when I was middle-school-ish we added a "left-right" exchange, I think we got the idea from American Girl magazine?  And then I wrote the story for many years, usually about an hour before the exchange on Christmas Eve.  I could hardly tell you anything my sisters bought me or what I bought them but I remember how exciting it was to save up and pick out something for each of them, when I thought it was a big deal because I upped my per person budget from $1 to $2.


On Christmas morning we always had to line up in backwards birth order (youngest first) to all walk together into the family room to see what Santa left.  I remember many years we were all really into Legos and/or Playmobil. 

But what I remember most about those times was how cozy it was.  There was usually a fire going and often Mannheim Steamroller playing.  The whole family was together and I don't remember all the details as much as I remember the feeling of it. 

And that's mostly what I want my boys to remember from this Christmas season. 

We have been home on Christmas morning at least as long as we've had Luke and, as much as I love celebrating with our bigger families, Christmas morning at home is usually my favorite time of the whole Christmas celebrating.  We don't have a fireplace or nearly as many kids as either of us grew up with but I hope the boys get the feeling of being loved, being a part of a family. 


It's not about the presents, although Luke is pretty excited about those (I think most kids are?).  And it is really fun to shop for them and buy things they (Luke) have been talking about for MONTHS.  Getting excited for how excited they will be.


I try to involve Luke is as much of the prep as I reasonably (meaning my sanity) can.  He helps me bake (some things) and we all (minus a sleeping Sam, sleeping for a reason) frosted cookies.  Luke helped shop for the gifts he's giving and has helped me wrap those too (do all kids LOVE tape??).  He helped me put up ornaments and was very excited to pick out the Christmas tree ("It's the BEST one ever!").

We also put a big emphasis on Jesus' birth being the reason for our celebrating the season.  I read a lot of Nativity themed books to Luke and he loves talking about it.  Luke was really excited to get out his Little People and Playmobil nativities and has set the former up many times, since Sam's main interest in it this year is chewing on the figures.  We'll go to Mass over Christmas and he'll be excited to see the baby Jesus in the manger there.  He proudly told me he put baby Jesus, for the Playmobil nativity scene that lives on his dresser, in his underwear drawer since he saw me put baby Jesus for our main nativity scene in a drawer of the buffet (no underwear) until Christmas.


It's hard not to feel and be really busy in December.  I always underestimate how much time it will take to fully decorate the house, especially when that coincides with a lot of commitments outside the house.  No matter how much I intend to get done before December, there is always plenty of shopping to still do in December, extra food to prep, cookies to bake.  It's a lot of good memories but also a lot going on, even for me who tries to stay home as much as possible. 

But it's also one of my favorite times of the year and as much as there is extra stress, there always seems to be more joy and special family memories.  I hope my boys are making good memories, they remember the fun of getting things ready and how much they are loved by us, family, and Jesus. 

No comments: