Monday, June 8, 2020

Mixed Drink Monday: Light(er) & Fruity Margaritas


I have met the rare margarita recipe that I didn't want to immediately try (looking at you, anything watermelon flavored) and so when I saw this one for a lighter peach margarita I was game.  At the time we also had a lot of frozen peaches in the freezer from when The Peach Truck came to town last summer.  THEN we started doing Sunday smoothies over quarantine, for a lack of fresh fruit due to our infrequent grocery runs, and we quickly ran out of frozen peaches.   These quickly became "frozen (whatever we currently have in the freezer) margaritas".  And it worked just wonderfully!  Flexibility is important, especially on grocery availability during a pandemic. 

I happened to make these on the day between when I finally bought all sorts of flowers at Lowes and the day I finally planted all sorts of flowers from Lowes, hence the wall of flowers in the background.  That was unplanned but worked out rather beautifully, if I do say so.  Almost enough to make me consider always having a wall of flowers on my picnic table except that then I'd have to keep them all alive and that feels...daunting. 

Here's what I love about margaritas and why I've made and posted so many recipes.  They are delicious.  I get to use my favorite coconut salt on the rims.  I can make a wide variety of flavors and consistency with just tequila and triple sec, liquor wise.  They are fruity and delicious (The Office reference there but it's also true).  I can make smoothie or slushies for the boys that looks similar but without the alcohol (obviously).  I've also now come to associate the taste of limes with summer and they make a lovely touch on the rims.

I didn't follow the recipe, that got their calorie count under 200 for this drink, exactly so I doubt these are that light but they are likely on the lighter end of the drinks I made.  They were tasty and perfectly refreshing at the end of a hot summer day.  I also super appreciate them in the backyard, partially because eating out there saves our kitchen from the mess of two boys.  These were absolutely a win.

One year ago: Colada Elixir
Two years ago:
The Fizzy Flamingo
Three years ago:
Peach Lemonade
Four years ago: Strawberry Lemonade Beer

Five years ago: Perfect & Easy Sweet Sun Tea (hands down, the drink I've made the most from this project!)

Six years ago: Malibu Drink


Light(er) & Fruity Margaritas
yield: 2 drinks
Ingredients
-12 ounces frozen fruit (we used a peach/pineapple/mango/strawberry mix)
-¼ cup tequila
-2 TB (1 ounce) lime juice
-2 tsp honey
-¾ cup sparkling water (we used a peach/mango flavored variety)

-1 cup crushed ice
-salt & lime wedges for garnish (optional)

Directions
Combine everything except the garnishes in a blender and blend until very smooth. Optional rub a lime wedge around the top of your glass and dip in salt. /optional  Add blended margarita to glass and enjoy!



Source: modified from The Cookie Rookie
____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page

No comments: