Wednesday, July 8, 2020

ICOTW: Lemon Cream Ice Cream


Happy week two of ice cream making Summer 2020!  There is a lot that is different about this summer but I can still make ice cream!  And make it I have.  I have a list of flavors I hope to make this summer but that list is largely dependent for when fruit is in season or on sale.  Which is why I made 4 tubs of strawberry ice cream in June.  Lemons are a little less seasonal so this was an easy one to sneak in while waiting for other fruits to show up in Aldi's weekly ad.

My memories of lemon ice cream are from this little ice cream stand we have often visited around Memorial Day when making, what I've termed, the "Memorial Day Memorial Tour".  My Dad grew up near where Matt's family's lake cottage is and most Memorial Days (not this year, because of that great ruiner of things, COVID).  I meet my parents and some sisters to visit the grave sites of our Grandparents and Great-Grandparents.  We clean off the tombstones and put down new flowers.  It's a very fun morning.  It's very rare that a group of us sisters are together without husbands or kids and there is a lot of trying to talk over each other the whole time.  We also stop at this ice cream stand and at a winery.  For a long time at our ice cream stop I would get a lemon soft-serve cone since it's the only place I've ever seen lemon soft-serve.  Then I started to get more expensive blizzard-like things or other scooped ice cream (sorry Dad), like my sisters.  I still think fondly of the lemon ice cream though and was delighted to find this one.  It comes with less reminiscing (at least outside of this post) but I do get more than one cone of it once a year!

This is light and flavorful and fairly easy to make, I'd just recommend reading through the whole recipe before starting.  I'm starting to feel in my ice cream making groove (that's a thing!) now that I'm more than 8 batches in this year, with many more to come. 
  
One year ago: Coconut Peach Popsicles

Two years ago: Strawberry Gelato
Three years ago: Coconut Lime Popsicles 
Four years ago: Raspberry Crisp Ice Cream
Five years ago: Peach Sangria Popsicles

Lemon Cream Ice Cream
yield: about 1 quart
Ingredients
Lemon Syrup
-2-3 lemons
-2 TB sugar

Ice Cream Base
-2 2/3 cup whole milk
-1 TB + 2 tsp cornstarch
-2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
-1/8 tsp sea salt
-1½ cups heavy cream
-¾ cup sugar
-¼ cup corn syrup
-zest of 2-3 lemons from above

Directions
1) Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from the lemons in large strips.  Set aside.  Juice the lemons until you have 2/3 cup lemon juice.  Combine this lemon juice with the 2 TB of sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a simmer until the sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and refrigerate until chilled.

2)  Whisk the cream cheese with the sea salt in a medium sized bowl.  Mix 2/3 cup of the milk in a small bowl with the cornstarch to make a slurry. 

3) Add the remaining 2 cups of milk, heavy cream, sugar, corn syrup and lemon zest in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.  Bring to a rolling boil and let boil for 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and whisk in the milk-cornstarch slurry.  Put this back over medium-high heat and return to a boil, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.  Remove from heat.

4) Slowly whisk the hot stove mixture into the cream cheese/salt bowl.  Refridgerate until completely chilled, I usually do overnight.

5) Remove the lemon zest from the fridge mixture and pour into your ice cream maker.  Pour the refrigerated lemon syrup into your ice cream maker, while it is running, churn according to machine's instructions.  When finished, pack into a freezer-safe container and press a piece of parchment paper on top.  Freeze until solid, at least 4 hours.  Enjoy!


Source: Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by Jeni Britton Bauer

__________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 
 

No comments: