Wednesday, July 15, 2020

ICOTW: Peach Sorbet (no-churn or ice cream maker)


I try to have an abundance mindset when it comes to most things, there's plenty to go around (except for toilet paper in March and hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes currently in the store).  However.  I cannot get over a feeling of scarcity when it comes to peach sorbet.  I remember our childhood neighbors bringing my Mom back boxes of peaches from Michigan when I was a kid and, inevitably, my Mom would turn some of those peaches into sorbet.  Now we get our annual box of peaches from The Peach Truck and I turn some of those peaches into sorbet. 

Most of the ice cream (or ice cream like things) I make I freeze in reusable plastic containers from Target.  This generally works fine although I will probably upgrade my containers as these crack (but these are recyclable and they have served me for many years!).  Peach sorbet I always freeze in canning jars because that's how my Mom did it.  I also know I won't be in as big of a rush to get through them when they are in the basement deep freeze in canning jars rather than in the upstairs fridge's freezer.

My feeling of scarcity over peach sorbet probably goes back to my childhood when my Mom would open the treasured frozen jars of sorbet and we'd each get about 2 spoonfuls because there were 8 of us and those jars are big but not that big.  Now I still find myself somewhat hoarding, or to put it more nicely, treasuring every bite of my peach sorbet.  With the perfectly ripe peaches, it is the perfect summer treat.  Cold, refreshing, sweet, a tiny bit tart, and so perfectly peachy.  It's not flashy but it sure is delicious.

Note: I thought a lot over how to present this recipe because half of the recipe I grew up on fits perfectly in my ice cream maker or in the blender so even a regular batch I'd have to break up to process.  I included half that recipe here so it's a smaller yield but will all fit in one batch for processing.  Just multiply as you see fit, I make the equivalent of 4 of these batches at a time, just spreading out the processing.

You could probably cut the sugar more, I already did from the original recipe but only as far as I've indicated below.  Next year I plan to try even less sugar.

The easiest way to peel peaches is to cut an X into the bottom and place in a pot of boiling water for about 60 seconds.  Remove and run cold water over the peaches to shock them.  Then the skins should come off very easily.


One year ago: Chocolate Coconut Sorbet

Two years ago: Blackberry Lime Sorbet
Three years ago: Salted Honey Ice Cream
Four years ago: Lemonade Ice Cream

Five years ago: Coconut Ice Cream

Fresh Peach Sorbet
yield: about 1/2 quart (maybe 1½ large canning jars?)
Ingredients
-2 cups sliced, peeled, pitted, ripe peaches
-½ cup orange juice
-¾ cup sugar
-1 TB lemon juice

Directions
1) In a medium saucepan, combine the orange juice, sugar, and lemon juice over medium heat, until the sugar dissolved.  Meanwhile, puree the peaches (I used my immersion blender) until very smooth.  Remove the juice/sugar mix from heat, let briefly cool, and stir in the pureed peaches. 

NOW, choose your own adventure:

ICE CREAM MACHINE 
2) Transfer the peach sugar juice to a bowl and place in the fridge until cool (at least a few hours).  Then pour into your ice cream machine and churn according to instructions.  When finished, put the sorbet in canning jars, screw on lid and ring, and place in the freezer until solid.  Will need to let sit at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.

NO-CHURN
2) Pour the peach sugar juice into a 9" x 13" pan and freeze until firm.  Break it into chunks in a blender or food processor and blend until it is lighter in color and fluffier.  I do about 30 seconds on low and then pulse for another ~45 seconds.  Transfer to canning jars, add a lid and ring and freeze!  Will need to let sit at room temp for a minutes before serving.



Source: Modified from a very old recipe my Mom had cut out of somewhere at least 25 years ago, I highly doubt anyone knows where it's originally from, but if you do, let me know and I'll add proper credit!
__________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 
 

No comments: